Marshall Bushwhack, 3/19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
No, I didn’t get lost climbing the Herbert Brook boulevard—that would really be embarrassing. There is another herdpath SW from the Iroquois Pass (aka Cold Brook Pass) between Iroquois and a bump of Marshall. I didn’t take that herdpath either. In late winter, this herdpath gets so filled with snow that it virtually disappears. In addition, the S side of the bump is a thick old blowdown field which can be rather annoying and unpleasant to go through (believe me, I know). My original plan was to leave the trail from Indian Pass before the col and bushwhack around the bump, then climb up to the col between the bump and Marshall, and follow the herdpath (what was left of it) to Marshall.

Later, looking at the topo map, I saw a small pond NW of Marshall that might be interesting and have good views. From the pond I thought to go into the col between bump and Marshall and take the herdpath (if it existed) to the summit.

Leaving the trail to Iroquois Pass at 3600 feet, I headed SW toward the pond. The route passed a small slide, really like a scalloped rock cliff, on the NW side of bump and dropped down to the scenic pond nestled under the broad shoulder of Marshall. That was easy enough. :) The question now was how to climb to the summit, up the valley to the col (which looked thick) and maybe intercept the herdpath, or S up the ridge and E to the summit. The latter route had a lot of clear, open areas above the pond but I wasn’t so sure it would be so nice near the ridge. And what about cliffs, which Marshall has several hiding about? I took it anyway, and it was steep in a few spots but had no cliffs, and was mostly open climbing to the summit. I walked to the small viewpoint on the S side of the summit and took a few steps to the summit clearing. Nice!

I was tempted to explore further on the descent, but I know how seldom that turns out well. So I meticulously followed my tracks back to the trail and enjoyed the descent back down the Indian Pass trail to the Loj. Maybe I'll do some more exploring of this area next year (and take my camera).