Max the Border Terrier's 1st 4K. Tecumseh, 3/19/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Copied from http://trishgrid.blogspot.com
Accompanying pictures can be found there.

Mt. Tecumseh Trail from ski parking lot, 5 miles roundtrip.

Guess I won't be solo hiking for a while; Max, our border terrier, is old enough to accompany me on 4Ks.

Border terriers were bred to keep up with horses during fox hunts; they are energetic and hardy little dogs, and they require a lot of exercise. When I asked the breeder and our vet about the minimum age for safe 4K hiking, both told me Max would probably be ready at six months. As long as we walk and don't run, and as long as I pay attention to his rather obvious cues, hiking will be good for him.

Here he is, ready to roll...

Max was a happy little pup as we set off along the trail. His tail was high and wagging, his ears were perked up, he walked with a bounce in his step...and then we came to....a water crossing.

Water crossings scare the bejeesus out of Max. All four paws dig into the ground in the classic nuh-uh-I'm-not-budging pose and that's the end of that. In the woods around my house, I pick him up and carry him over any water we come across. For 4Ks, however, all steps must be walked on one's own two feet (or four paws), so carrying is an illegal tactic.

Since I'd no intention of dragging my dog across the snowbridge, I came up with a solution that worked for both of us; out came the doggie treats. Max saw the little bones, immediately lost all fear of the water, and followed the moving treats across the stream and up the bank.

Besides the crossings, the hike to the View went smoothly and quickly. Max walked at my normal hiking pace and showed no signs of stress or fatigue. His happiness increased when we took a break to watch the skiers fly down the hill. Max was very, very interested in those skiers and ruffed at me for not allowing him to give chase.

Next came the never-ending slog part, one mile of repetitive this:

I thought Max would tire at some point along this section, but he never did. Once, he stopped right in front of me and looked up as though expecting something. At first, I thought he was ready to go home, but then I realized it was lunchtime. We took a break, I poured his food into a little bowl, and he ate. When his food was finished, he perked up his ears and continued up the trail.

We conquered the slog and got past the intersection with the Sosman Trail. Views opened to our left...

Max gave me a curious look whenever I used the camera...

Not too much longer....and we made it!

Max ate some treats and drank some water while I took in the views.

We greeted some members of a Boy Scout troop who arrived on the summit while we were resting, then we took our leave and headed down.

Max's tail never stopped wagging, and at home he acted his usual self. Can't wait to take him with us on some backpacking trips this summer.

Max is going to be a superb trail dog. Terriers that size are extremely well adapted to hiking in the Whites. They are incredibly strong and tough and capable of going all day long. Lauky has been able to handle every ledge he has encountered. In fact he handles some with more ease than did his big brother Duffy the Airedale. Every now and then some folks ask me if he's not too small for the hiking and I remind them that he is "small" as in Jeep Wrangler "small".

Thanks, Ed. We specifically looked for a breed that was tough, strong, extremely energetic, low maintenance, and easy to train.

The border terrier was a perfect fit. These little guys and gals are tanks that rarely run out of gas, and their temperment is sweet and loving. They were bred to keep up with running horses (fox hunting)...and they are FAST (Max is a speed demon and can never be off leash in an unfenced area).

I look forward to more of his company on the trails. He certainly enjoyed being out there.

I had to laugh when I saw "terrier" and "low maintenance" in the same sentence. I think they might be low maintenance for people with an outdoors/hiking mentality but your average suburban family has their hands full with these breeds!

I had to laugh when I saw "terrier" and "low maintenance" in the same sentence. I think they might be low maintenance for people with an outdoors/hiking mentality but your average suburban family has their hands full with these breeds!

You betcha. Excuse me for butting in, I know this is Trish's thread, but I can't hold back here. There are dogs and then there are terriers and then there are terriers and there are Welsh Terriers. You won't get and argument on your statement from me.

Every now and then someone says about Lauky 'He's so cute, I've got to have one.' I try to warn them a bit about what would be in store for them. I do think though that the Border, as terriers go, is more inclined to obedience than the Welsh. I can tell you for sure that my Airedale, which looked like a big Welsh, was a totally different character and much more trainable.

All that being said, the 'lovability' factor is something else altogether. The head of the New England Airedale Rescue has several Airedales that she keeps for herself. She also has a Welsh. She admitted to me that while she thinks that the Airedale is a far superior breed, if she had to give up all her dogs except one, it's her Welsh that she would keep. :)

Bill and Ed, you're probably right -- Max is very energetic, and an ill informed and relatively inactive owner would probably be in way over her head.

That said, Max is low maintenance in that he is small (he can run laps in the house without knocking anything over), he doesn't shed, he's incredibly loving, and he was fairly easy to train (except he still wants to jump on everyone he sees...still working on that one, but he is leashed on the trails, so this isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things).

I'm home more than the average owner and I play with him and walk him a lot, so he seems easy to me. If he were continually left alone for hours every day, then he would probably be more of a handful.

ETA: I'm glad you both chimed in, I wouldn't want to give a prospective owner the idea that border terriers are laid back. They aren't. They need a ton of exercise, or else. That being said, Max is sweet and loving and easy for this active family to care for.

Last edited: