ME & VT 4000 footers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest some good guide books for the Maine and VT 4000 footers. Now that I completed my NH 4000 footers I was contemplating doing the ones in ME and VT. Since that will require more travelling I wanted to check out which ones could be combined for a two or three day trip. I stopped in Mt Wanderer bookstore, but Steve wasn't in to give some advice. I did pick up the Long Trail map which helped to locate where the peaks were in VT.
Any advice would be helpful.
Skibones

I'd also like to recommend High Peaks of the Northeast by Paul Scofield and published by New England Cartographics. It's brief, concise, and contains bits of information I've not seen elsewhere.

Actually, the author’s name is Bruce Scofield. Either way, it’s a good book.

The book has maps, information on trails, and recommendations for maps and guidebooks. Plus a history of peakbagging in the Northeast and a checklist in the back. His cut-off for described mountains is about 1200 meters.

Here it is on Amazon.

The only problem with the book I’ve noticed is that the text is cut off on the description for Emmons.

Raymond said:

The book has maps, information on trails, and recommendations for maps and guidebooks. Plus a history of peakbagging in the Northeast and a checklist in the back. His cut-off for described mountains is about 1200 meters.

Here it is on Amazon.

The only problem with the book I’ve noticed is that the text is cut off on the description for Emmons.

Thanks for the information. Two of my friends that completed their NH 4000 footers are also interested in the VT and ME ones-so that will give us a ton of information to get started.

Ten of the Maine 4,000 footers are located on or within two miles of the AT within a stretch of 50 miles. If you are interested in climbing all these peaks as a series of dayhikes and including these peaks, linked here is some valuable information including driving directions and times and my entire trip report for this trip. When you link to Whiteblaze, make sure you click on the attached Maine AT V file. Also, start with August 21 as the hikes prior to that are beautiful hikes but do not include any of the 4,000 footers. I think this will be of some help.

Raymond said:

Here it is on Amazon.

Thanks for fixing the typo. Damn fine actor too ...