Meals Ready to Eat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
A bunch of years ago I greatly enjoyed a winter trip complemented with a hot meal ready when we just pulled the string.

While at EMS today I learned that they no longer sell these.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these "pull the string" for a steaming hot meal?

Thanks for any info on why these were discontinued and if there is a replacement!

Inge :)

Yes!!

Recently I had the fine fortune of experiencing the delightful cooking and companionship of a chef/guide. It was absolutely wonderful!

But being spoiled by such exquisite dining while in the wilderness, I cannot choke down my usual cold oatmeal for winter trips and must at least have something HOT.

OR can you ensure that such a chef/guide would accompany one for WINTER treks also???!!

Hot tea and scones

BlackSpruce - I really enjoy my hot tea w/ fresh scones or fresh bread and goat cheese, please!

Chip - Thanks for the info, where can these be purchased? Have you eaten one of these thing-a-ma-jigs?! I don't believe this is what I had, but it sounds like a neat replacement (almost as nifty and the guide/chef concept!)

I buy cases of MRE's on Ebay. There are menu choices. Some can be bought with the FRH's. Some can be bought with Chocolate Cappucino ;) . People love MRE's or they won't touch them. I think they're great; they don't need to be re-hydrated, they taste as good as any Mountain House product I've had and, in a pinch, they don't even need to be heated. I normally heat the pouch in boiling water, eat out of the pouch and then drink the boiled water: no clean-up required.

Hopefully the pouches aren't leaking toxins into my instant decaf Mocha Chocalata ya ya, but life's too short anyway.

Lots of places sell MREs online - just google {or try Ebay - hadn't thought of that}. Check whether the ones you get have the heater included or not.
It may not yet be possible for a civilian to lay hands on the new FSRs - half the weight and bulk, and about 2300 kcal (compared to about 3000 kcal for MREs).

[Edit: Additional sources give different numbers for calorie counts of both FSRs and MREs. I think my original source assumed a typical day meant eating 3 MREs at 1000 kcal ea = 3000. Other sources say a single MRE is closer to 1300 kcal, and an FSR is closer to 2900. All agree one FSR is half the weight and bulk of *one* MRE.]

Last edited:
I've had the MRE Ice Cream & I quickly learned to like it. It's not like real ice cream brought to you by Chicken Boy but it does not require ice to keep cold either :D

nartreb said:
It may not yet be possible for a civilian to lay hands on the new FSRs - half the weight and bulk, and about 2300 kcal (compared to about 3000 kcal for MREs).
Cool info nartreb, I hadn't heard of FSRs, apparently they will be shipped down range soon.
Look for them on Ebay soon after ! (I think the Supply Clerks may be supplementing their Military income :rolleyes: )

Paradox said:
Some post military folks has quipped the MRE stands for Meals Rejected by Everyone. :p

When I first joined the Army they had just started to issue MREs. I recall eating my first one and seeing on the package that they were made by a company named Cadillac who also made dog food. :eek: :eek:

Towards the end of my career the MRE had improved quite a bit, for one thing they weren't made by a dog food company any longer and they even came out with Kosher MREs. Since retiring I've finished off the last few I had on various trails. When you're at the summit and you're stomach is talking to you those things taste pretty good. Then again at that point just about anything is good.

WhiteMTHike said:
When I first joined the Army they had just started to issue MREs. I recall eating my first one and seeing on the package that they were made by a company named Cadillac who also made dog food. :eek: :eek:

Towards the end of my career the MRE had improved quite a bit, for one thing they weren't made by a dog food company any longer and they even came out with Kosher MREs. Since retiring I've finished off the last few I had on various trails. When you're at the summit and you're stomach is talking to you those things taste pretty good. Then again at that point just about anything is good.

They just started to come into service as I was getting out. We actually labeled them "Meals rejected by Ethiopians". :D OK, they actually were somewhat better than most of the C rats but even the C rats were not that bad. I use to spend a lot of time in the field back before the gas problems so I ate a lot of C rats. I have no problems with MREs and am looking forward to seeing what the FSR's are like. How much and how bulky and what they taste like.

Keith

Military MRE's are all right.........just heavy to carry in a pack with 60 pounds of gear in an ALICE pack, rifle, flak vest....UGHHH :eek:

One used to give you 3000 calories, so eating alot of them would pack on some pounds.