MEB takes a hike....finally!!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
It’s been over three months since I have been on a hike. My last hiking adventure was back in February over Presidents Day Weekend when I spent a few days in the Adirondacks. Upon returning home though my right foot was giving me trouble.

After a week of incredible discomfort I awoke on a Sunday morning to unbearable pain. Off to the emergency room I go where x-rays detected nothing wrong. So I dealt with the discomfort and pain thinking things would get better at some point. I stopped hiking and working out all together. Boo. Two months go by and the foot is still swollen and still hurts like hell. I decided it was time to go back to the docs. This time the x-ray clearly showed I had a break on the third metatarsal. It was good to have reassurance I was not just imagining all this pain. So off I leave with a walking cast that I had to wear for five weeks. Boo-hoo. It really wasn’t bad though. A few weeks ago the follow up appointment showed that break was about 70% healed and I was given the clear to start hiking again in June…Yeah! It was good to have some down time and it gave me the opportunity to remember that there are other things I do enjoy besides hiking.

Finally I could wear normal shoes and so I decided it was high time to start getting back in shape. I decided biking would be best and the least stressful on my foot…and so I started biking to my job. I can do the big ride which is 40 miles round trip or the half ride of about 20 miles. I figured this would get my legs strong again and some good cardio. I have biked just under 300 miles in the past two weeks. I’ve also been working with hand weights and babies to keep my arms strong. Sit ups, theraband workouts for the ankle and more sit ups…I should be good to go!!!! Right????

So on this morning of June 4th I head out to the mountains. Pinkham Notch is my destination. I have intentionally neglected to look at a weather forecast or reports of recent trail conditions. I figure if it’s dumpy when I get there I’ll just do something in the Carters. But to my surprise it is absolutely beautiful and just a bit on the chilly side. I started up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and right away noticed that it was closed. Ok…so I hike on thinking Lions Head but when I get to the Boot Spur I take that trail instead.

The climbing starts and right away and I quickly determine the biking has done nothing to get me back in hiking shape. Only hiking can get me in hiking shape. I have worked individual body parts and they might feel great and strong when I’m working them but the parts have not worked together for a long time. I am out of breath, huffing and puffing. My legs feel shaky and wobbly. I stop every so often. To my surprise my foot and arms feel good. Stop. Go. Stop. Go Stop. Go. I am thankful I decided to go at this first hike alone.

Stop. Go. Stop. Go. Stop. Go. Sweat. Sweat. Sweat. Starving! Starving! Stop. Go. Stop Go. This is the theme up to the junction with the Davis Path. I don’t really care though. I am on the trails and I am hiker trash again! No tears of frustration or tears of joy for me. I stop struggling mentally and accept what I feel. My body takes over and falls into a rhythm that it knows so well. I begin to hear my heart sing. It is singing loudly and has so much to say! A joyful song it is. Soon after my soul fills with energy, excitement and contentment. Only the trail can bring me this gift of feeling centered and whole again. It’s and overwhelming feeling and I am grateful to be back in the woods again. Mind you, I am still stop, go, stop, go, stop, go….and starving!

Starvation finally wins over and I skip my intentions of going to Monroe first and head straight to Washington! I met a nice family on the summit and talked with them for quite some time….the mother was 80 years old and so sweet. No, she did not hike up but seeing the joy in her eyes and the smile on her face was priceless. Maybe I will be fortunate like her in my old age.

The summit building was crowded but I was able to find a table to sit down at. Legs and feet were very achy at this point. I saw a bunch of people eating hotdogs and I started craving one myself. I ate a few hotdogs on the AT last year after a 25 year hiatus of not eating them. Funny how hunger can drive one to do things they never imagined! I opted for my bagel and snacks seeing I did not have any cash on hand.

My decent went down Nelson Crag, across the Alpine Garden and than over to the Lions Head. The alpine flowers are beautiful right now! It’s been so many years since I have been in this area. Had some wonderful memories of climbing Central Gully back in 2005 I think and staying at the Harvard Cabin in January of 2006. The trails have given so many wonderful friendships and so many beautiful memories. I suddenly find my need to head out alone now has turned into a need to be hiking with my sister again and hiking friends. Funny how the mind works sometimes.

-MEB

mailto:?body=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fmedia%2Fset%2F%3Fset%3Da.2018786080036.2119751.1555422014%26l%3Daecfeadca6&subject=Hiker Trash on Washington June 4, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2018786080036.2119751.1555422014&l=aecfeadca6

Last edited:
Good for you ... Mt. Washington as first hike after a long layoff. Even if it was start ... stop ... start ... stop. Get better, get stronger, and enjoy the summer.

I can't believe that Ridgewalker (Clarke) and I missed you up there, Mary Ellen :(

What a day to be up there. Boot Spur is a great trail and QUIET. We saw one large group of bachelor party boys and that was it. So glad you were feeling well enough to get out after such a long hiatus. This was Clarke's and my first real mountain hikes since March. :eek: We were elated to get out there.

Thanks for the nice nice photos, too! You got some great ones.

Hope our paths cross again soon....

Marty

I did Washington as a first hike in a long time...twice. The first time I couldn't move for a week, and the 2nd time I came down Boott Spur...and that ladder was NOT there for the way down!! It took a little shimmying down a tree to make it down safely. Thanks for the report, and pics!

grouseking

Dear Mary Ellen,
Heck of a hike for your maiden voyage! Thank you for the report. I have a friend who is likewise suffering metatarsal pain that just isn't going away. Perhaps the doctor needs to check again.

Way to go Mary Ellen! What a way to get the body back into the groove. Wham, bam!

Petch

Nice--the first hike after some "enforced downtime" is particularly delicious...

Two cautious thoughts:
1) I've reinjured or caused a new problem by rushing back to the big stuff quickly after some downtime. I've found it to be much safer if I do a couple of smaller hikes first to rebuild.
2) Biking is great exercise for the circulatory system and concentric (energy producing, uphill) muscle contractions but does not build eccentric (energy absorbing, downhill) muscle contractions. This has resulted in knee injuries for both myself and at least one other VFTTer. Adding some appropriate (lowering) exercises or smaller hikes can help to prevent this.

BTW, X-rays often don't show hairline fractures immediately. However, after some time has passed, they can show the healing bone.

Glad you were able to get out.

Doug

Last edited:
Awesome!!!
Glad to hear you're back on the trail...now I can't wait to see you and your Sista back on the trail together. I miss hearing the laughing and joy!:D

Stop. Go. Stop. Go. Stop. Go. Sweat. Sweat. Sweat. Starving! Starving! Stop. Go. Stop Go. This is the theme up to the junction with the Davis Path. I don’t really care though. I am on the trails and I am hiker trash again! No tears of frustration or tears of joy for me. I stop struggling mentally and accept what I feel. My body takes over and falls into a rhythm that it knows so well. I begin to hear my heart sing. It is singing loudly and has so much to say! A joyful song it is. Soon after my soul fills with energy, excitement and contentment. Only the trail can bring me this gift of feeling centered and whole again. It’s and overwhelming feeling and I am grateful to be back in the woods again.

Wonderful paragraph, MEB! Much the way that I have felt the past couple of months coming back from my second worst injury ever. But, I could never have expressed the feelings in words the way you have done. Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Thanks everyone for your kind responses....it is truely a joy to be out hiking again!

Audrey...glad to hear your friend is healing up!!!

-MEB