Memorial Day Snow on Moosiluake 5/27/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
When I was a boy of eight, I once daydreamed during a hot, muggy Memorial day family cookout that it would start to snow and blanket everything. I dismissed it, even then, as impossible.

Yesterday it happened:

IMG_9994-1.JPG

Well I know it certainly isn’t impossible for it to snow in the Whites in late May, but magnitude of this weekend’s snow event was highly improbable. Definitely more improbable than the Bruins winning a game 7 in which they were down 4-2 with just over a minute left. Even the towns got snow after all, in the whites and even central NH!

The snow and Moosilauke wasn’t what I wanted for this weekend. I was hoping for something epic, like fast time on a semi pemi run. What I got was way better. A day of tramping through fresh snow on the unofficial start of summer. Soon after starting up the Gorge Brook Trail the snow became a consistent 2-3 inches around 3000 feet. After that the trees were coated, and there was 6-12 inches in the upper reaches before treeline. Then I found this:

IMG_9945.JPG

IMG_9981.JPG

IMG_0005-1.JPG

IMG_9986.JPG

IMG_0011-1.JPG

Rime ice, fresh snow on the big boys, green leafed out valleys below

For this day, the Whites became the place they once were when I first discovered them. A place of wonder and magic. A place where I felt small. Small not because I felt worthless, but small because I was humbled by a place bigger than me and an awareness of powers bigger still.

IMG_0012-1.JPG

Dwarfed hiker

When I spend time with my 2 ½ year old I am reminded that the world was once a place where everything was new and anything can happen. No burdens, hurts, or regrets weigh her down—she is free of those things because they don’t exist for her. Most of my hike was done with a kid-like exuberant smile, even though I was alone, and even though most of my six mile descent down Asquam Ridge featured mushy snow, half a foot of standing water, and trees pouring ice cold melt-off like Saturday’s rain. My smile remained because I felt like my daughter, if just for a day. The world was only a beautiful place where anything could still happen, including things that shouldn’t. I guess it’s all in what we look for in it.

You've managed to express in spectacular photos and eloquent words some of the reasons I love the Whites. Thanks, my friend.

What a great feeling when you can discover you can still be amazed like a child! What a great day you must have had! Mother Nature at her finest.

That was just it-- the uniqueness of the day and conditions and the mindset they created. I have been lucky enough to hike out West, 200 4ks, and 2400 miles in the last 3 years alone, and plenty of real winter peaks. So I know the Whites aren't the Himalaya or even the Rockies, and the snow that day not even close to real winter. But it was amazing that a place that had become somewhat "routine" could be so special again.

You've managed to express in spectacular photos and eloquent words some of the reasons I love the Whites. Thanks, my friend.

That's what I was hoping to convey. The Whites can definitely be a place that feel way bigger than their altitudes and more special than grander places at times. Happy hiking!

Thanks for a great review of a great day on my favorite White Mountain... All that was lacking was a visit from the doctor!