Mendon, 9/25/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wemedge

Reaction score
Wheelerville Rd from the north was blocked, so drove around and came in from the south. The road was a bit of a mess from storm damage, but passable to the Bucklin parking area.

The old road past the gate was very easy walking and coincided with the Catamount X-C Ski Trail for awhile, then passed a cabin which took me by surprise as I hadn't seen it mentioned in other trip reports.

For some reason I thought I remembered Mendon as having a fairly short approach, so was further surprised when the first crossing of Eddy Brook came at 1.5 miles. Since my thinking was off, so was my count of the water crossings, and I mistook the third for the fourth...which caused some confusion when things weren't mentally matching up in that area.

Eventually it all made sense with the obvious right turn after the correct fourth crossing. After a few switchbacks arrived at the third cairn, then walked maybe fifty more feet to a nice-looking herd path heading into the woods on the right. Tended to the left and the ridge whenever faced with a choice and had an easy walk through open woods: no thick spruce, no blowdowns, no storm damage, very simple. About halfway to the first summit ran into a well-worn herd path flagged with pink tape that led easily to the top; from there it was a quick walk to the other summit and the canister.

Not the short hike I was envisioning, but surprisingly straightforward. #94/100

Bill/wemedge