Microspike Leashes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceNsnow

Reaction score
Just thought I'd pass this idea along.:)

Since I have had my Microspikes fall off after getting stuck on a branch or stub, I decided to put 'safety' straps on them so they don't get left behind. I modified some leashes I had around the house from assorted college / business promotions.

These leashes use the same concept as the straps that are required by resorts for snowboards. (Which I think they are a take-off from the safety straps used on skis, but I can't see how they add any safety to snowboards since the snowboard bindings NEVER release from the board??!! but that is another issue..............:()

Has anyone else tried this?

Has anyone else tried this?

Last week, I had a problem with one of the tails falling off my MSR Denalis. This week, I had more problems, but I didn't have to backtrack to retrieve it. The tail was attached to the main part of the snowshoe with a length of string.

Great minds think alike; soft minds run together ;)

Mine fit tightly enough (size L on size 11 boot) that it would be impossible to have one come off without knowing it. Once, one of mine, after catching on a root, snapped high in the air and landed at the feet of a fellow hiker behind me. She's still laughing...

From hikiing with that that use them, sounds like a good idea. I need one for my map :rolleyes:

Jay

modification

Before I even got out to check my new leashes I found a simpler method. Attaching a caribeaner to my bootlace, I can quickly snap on to the Microspike when I don them! Lighter, simpler and always ready.

The carabiner idea is a fabulous one. Here's one my friends and I have used for the older Sherpa bindings that always seemed to come off at inopertune times: Cat collars. They are lightweight, inexpensive (unless you get the ones with jewels on them :p) and I was getting ready to get a set for my microspikes -- only one has come off one time. I wouldn't have noticed right away but I somehow managed to kick it in front of myself and the red on the white snow was startling.

But, Beverly, the extra traction is important. The other thing is it gives you --right at hand -- a product that you can apply to your glasses so they don't fog up. Right, Cat Crap. And Ralph (pictured in the avatar) is better than a hot water bottle when it's cold. :D