Middle and South Redington 9/17/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
My last trip into the Barnjum Valley. Sigh! If all the logging roads were this good it would be too easy. I followed Barnjum Road .9 Miles past the Farmer-Abraham Road and parked on the left were a woods road forks off. Left the car by 9AM. I followed the woods road for about 1.5 miles or so passing the AT and the pre 1988 AT. When I reached the 3000 foot level the road flattened out and for the first time I set a waypoint on the GPS since I was planning a triangle to do the peaks and back to the road.
After a scrappy start the woods opened up and soon I was out in the clear rock hopping up to the top of Middle Red. My only complaint about the weather is that it could have been 10 degrees cooler. Oh well I'm sure that will come soon enough. After a hot climb I reached the top with the register, the survey marker and the Gov't Property-No Trespassing sign. Since I support the gov't and help pay their salaries, of the people, for the people, by the people, I found no reason not to "inspect the property that I own". Well, sort of.
After a short break it was time to head for the South peak. Back out on the open slope I saw the Navy school buildings off to the right but didn't linger just in case someone was around. This part of the trip was easier than expected with open woods and glades almost all the way to the peak where I found the jar after crossing a few false summits. These 3000-3200 foot Maine peaks are all alike!
Then it was time to find the waypoint. It was 1.16 Miles East of the South Peak. It was open and easy for the first .73 but the last .43 was pure crap! I suppose I could have broken off more to the SE and found the road but I was testing the GPS and it was sort of fun watching the mileage go down to .1 and then down from 500 feet and sure enough just below 100 feet I could see the outline of the road and came back to the exact spot. Plus I wasn't convinced that the going would have been any easier anywhere else.
So then it was back to the car by 3:15. A little easier than last week (No.6)
but still a lot of scrappy stuff to wade thru. Good practice I guess.
Gamehiker

Gamehiker said:
My last trip into the Barnjum Valley. Sigh!
Good job Jim... great trip report!
Barnjum is a bushwhackers type of town. Maybe they'll hold the 3K award banquet there this year :D :D :D

Onestep

Jim, was the mysterious backpacker anyplace to be seen on Barnjum Road? Nice report, I always liked that area, and some nice views from Middle Redington.

dms said:
Jim, was the mysterious backpacker anyplace to be seen on Barnjum Road? Nice report, I always liked that area, and some nice views from Middle Redington.

No, I have been back there twice now and no signs of the mysterious backpacker. Maybe he finally got a ride into Phillips.

Raymond said:
Are you saying that the Middle Redington summit is on Navy property? Or just near it?

Are these peaks threatened by the wind farm, too?

The No Trespassing sign is on the same tree on top of Middle Red. where the jar is located. However, some Endless Energy people signed their names in the register and they said that they "owned the mountain".
Not sure if the summit is part of the wind farm area. There is a wind monitoring tower on the next peak to the North. That peak is just to the left of the main ridge and not on the 3K list. The South Peak is not part of the wind project and is definitely on Navy property.

Thanks. Now I have another question:

How do you get to Barnjum? From the south, off Route 142 (or whatever)? I don’t have it in front of me, but I think my 2004 DeLorme shows either a gate across the road or a washed-out bridge. Maybe both.

I take it this is a better approach than Caribou Valley Road.

Last edited:
Although I have not been on CVR this year. from everything I've heard this is a much better approach.
From 142 take the East Madrid Road. Big sign for Hot Mix Plant at the turn off.
Follow this road about 3 miles or so from pavement to dirt back to pavement and finally to dirt. After the 3 miles you get to a 4Way junction, Barnjum Road goes to the right. I believe the left is called Potato Hill Road. Follow Barnjum all the way to the woods road I mentioned or the AT itself. Its a good road with some new bridges. Avoid any major turns to the right. Go about 3 miles or so passing the second turn to the right. This road would lead you into the valley between Farmer and Middle and South Abraham. Then the road gets a little rougher. From there it is .9 miles to the woods road and .6 miles beyond that to the AT. Sorry,my mileages may be off a little I lost my notes.
Gamehiker

I did that same loop in the reverse direction last year! Sounds like the same patch of thick stuff!... I strongly suspect that the well-trod path through the S.Redington/M. Redington col meanders, but eventually hooks up with the logging road; which if it could be followed, would greatly simplify access to these peaks. On the other hand, we wouldn't want it to be TOO easy.

Barnjum in December w/ a compact car?

How far past East Madrid do you think I could get with my small Saturn? I'm thinking of trying for Mt. Abraham sometime 12/25-28. I've got real snow tires and FrontWD, but not a lot of clearance. Thanks.

MarkL said:
How far past East Madrid do you think I could get with my small Saturn? I'm thinking of trying for Mt. Abraham sometime 12/25-28. I've got real snow tires and FrontWD, but not a lot of clearance. Thanks.

Unless the road is icy you might get all the way to the AT crossing although the last .5 mile is pretty rough. That is if Maine's balmy December continues. If it snows don't expect the road to be plowed past the house on the right just after you turn right at the 4-way intersection. Otherwise the road is in good shape.
Jim