Midstate Trail in a 3 Day Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done the Midstate Trail all at once? I have been running around on it for years and this summer I am thinking about taking a three day weekend and do a supported “Thu Hike” (if you want to call it that for a 90 mile trail). I live in the area so I am thinking if I have car support to pick me up and drop me off I could do the needed 30 miles a day (long days of course, but 30 miles on this trail is far easier than the 15-20 miles of White Mtn days I have grown accustomed to). Does anyone have any experience doing the entire trail? I have heard that certain points are not very well marked and are easy to lose your way, but for the most part it is a rather easy trail. Any thoughts

watch it on the northern end (ashburnham, I think). there was a section that has restricted access due to a change in land ownership and the new owners we "having trouble" with the hikers going through there. Apparently you can write the current owner and get a "pass" to hike on their land. Check the midstate website for more info. www.midstatetrail.org (I think).

I have not thru hiked it. if you google midstate trail thru hike you'll get a guide of sorts from a person who has. One thing they mentioned is that the shelters are spaced at odd intervals. Having done from the HN border as far south as Spencer I can attest to that comment. there are a few right on top of each other, and others more than a days hike apart. I'd think you could find a suitable spot to pitch a tent if you didn't want to use a shelter. Again, there could be a land ownership issue, so check into it first.

sounds like fun! enjoy!!

Last edited:
thanks for the beta, I actually just mailed that family a letter to receive a pass to cross their land. As of right now to finish the trail in the 3 days I have, we will be day hiking the whole thing and having someone pick us up and drop us off each day. I figure this way I can actually run some of the more mellow sections.

I had a friend who lived on the trail on Davis Road, just off Rte. 68 in Rutland, about 15 years ago. He did the trail in two days, on the first starting at RI and going home, and going to NH the next day. It sure seems like a LONG weekend to me! :eek:

I think 3 days is reasonable. Though long, the miles are easy. I remember a lot of road walking. If you do a search for TR's posted by me, you should be able to find the ones that cover the outings Cantdog and I made. I recall getting misplaced only in one area, and I know I mentioned that in the TR for the day.

At least as a thru-hike one would miss attempting to find the Cow Tunnel parking, which will live on in infamy forever in our memories.

Yes, the guidebook is excellent, well worth the small investment.

Don't miss a stop at the Whittier Farm Milk Store!

Dugan said:
I remember a lot of road walking.
Dugan makes a great point...you had mentioned running some of the miles so I'd assume that you'd be bringing trail running shoes, but if not I'd suggest them. I did a stretch from the route 2 crossing south to Rutland. If memory serves me, the last leg between Princeton and Rutland was basically all roads, a tough way to end the day.

One other thing to note in the area, that my guide didn't, is that dogs are not allowed in the Wildlife Santuary south of Wachusett. Zoe was with me, and my ride was waiting in Rutland, so I took the risk of being caught with her and boogied on thru..... :D

Good point with the dogs. The Mid-State passes through 2 Audubon Sanctuaries, both of which disallow dogs, neither mentions that in the guide. The sanctuary mentioned is one of these.