Mighty Mahoosucs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniper

Reaction score
The participants: Charles (Youngblood), Mary Ellen (MEB), Rachel (Little Sister), Darlene (Darl58), Steve (UnfrozenCaveman), Guy (Giggy), Andy (Drewski), Rebecca (Juniper) and Arm (Arm).

What a weekend! Charles originally had wanted to get a group together to do a backpack of the entire Mahoosuc Range from Grafton Notch to Gorham. More sensible heads (and, at least in my case, less able bodies) prevailed and the trip was scaled back to accommodate the fact that we’d be carrying heavy packs and most likely encountering some wintry (or at least wet) conditions. After spotting a car at the Success Trail trailhead, seven of us hiked in on Friday night via the Speck Pond Trail, while Charles started at Grafton Notch. The hike in was fairly straightforward, although we did encounter snow as we climbed. Both parties arrived at the Speck Pond shelter at the same time and we soon set to work making dinner and getting set up for bed. Although we were prepared to tent, we all decided to sleep in the shelter on a cold but windless night. Just enough room for the eight of us!

Up early the next morning, breakfasted and packed up. The first group hit the trail just before 7am and the rest followed within a half hour or so. The hike around Speck Pond was beautiful – the weather was very calm and getting warmer. Next came the climb up Mahoosuc Arm, the summit of which offered beautiful views of the surrounding area, including the snowy peaks of the Presidentials. The descent toward the Notch gave us a first preview of the knee crushing terrain that we’d travel over the rest of the day. It was a pleasant surprise to find the trail dry and ice-free on this side of the notch.

By the time we entered Mahoosuc Notch the entire group was back together. We spent the next two hours pushing, pulling, slipping, sliding, climbing under, climbing over, throwing the useless hiking poles, taking the big packs off, cursing, celebrating and, finally, emerging at the other end of the notch. We encountered an awful stench about halfway through, which at first we thought was the lingering odor of the moose that had fallen in the notch last year (can the smell really last that long?? we wondered). Later, we found some of the moose’s bones, so the smell was caused by some other (more recently dead) animal:eek::eek:. We met three groups of hikers during the day, including a couple of young guys wearing sneakers and street clothes (we saw them in the notch!) out for a day hike. Oh, and Giggy saved my life. Really! Thanks man.

The rest of the hike was a grueling series of ups and downs. Fulling Mill, various Goose Eyes (a few of us opted out of bagging the summit of W. Goose Eye – I already regret it!), Mt. Carlo. The weather was changing rapidly – fog was rolling in and the wind had picked up considerably. It was no longer enjoyable to walk in the alpine environment. From another hiker we met on the trail, we knew that the forecast was for heavy rain overnight, and we were hoping to finish up the day’s hike before the rain started. Personally, I was exhausted at this point, and my knees were screaming with every step down. It seemed to take forever to cover the last couple of miles to the Carlo Col shelter. As we got closer to the shelter, MEB, Rachel and I ran into Arm, who had come up that day and was joining us for the rest of the weekend. He looked very fresh after his hike in and tells us that the shelter is just ahead. Hooray!!!!!:D:) The shelter was a cozy cabin (not just a lean-to) that had room for all 9 of us. We got ourselves situated and then spent the next several hours (we arrived around 4pm) making meals, enjoying some of the liquid supplies that Arm had carried in :D:D and generally having fun passing the time. Andy was the exception – he was suffering some leg cramps, most likely due to dehydration. He was loaded up with water and electrolytes and Charles massaged his legs.

By late evening the fog had become real rain, which continued throughout the night, accompanied by high winds. We had a tarp over the doorway that made quite a ruckus during the windy first hours of the rainstorm. A large branch fell onto the shelter at one point. Fortunately, the roof did not leak at all and we remained dry and cozy.

In the morning there was a fair amount of disagreement about which route to take to wrap up the hike. By this time the rain was ending - we timed this one perfectly, it seemed. In the end, Giggy, MEB, Rachel, Andy and I went out the short way on the (now) water-filled Carlo Col trail. I took a bit of a bath at the last water crossing! We then did all the necessary car-moving to get the vehicles to the rest of the group who would be coming out at the Success Trail. Driving on Success Pond Road was nearly as thrilling as Mahoosuc Notch!:eek: We encountered a couple of fallen trees in the road from the overnight storm. The others had hiked to Mt. Success and then came out the Success Trail. Charles reported walking through a swamp up to the middle of his thighs (others seemed to have avoided this fate). Andy had to take care of a family issue, so we said goodbye to him and everyone else ended up at Mr. Pizza in Gorham to wind up the weekend.

So much fun! I’m sure I’ve forgotten a lot of details – will rely on the others to chime in. Big thanks to Charles for the brilliant idea. And congratulations to Andy on his first backpack! I can’t wait to go back and do the full traverse with a small pack and summer conditions. Anyone?

Pictures here: http://rebby.smugmug.com/gallery/6376304_PW3Tp#403068921_yGQSM

Last edited:
Mahoosuc slip & slide

Thanks for writing the TR Rebecca! It was a "wicked awesome" weekend as Mats would say! :D

A fun group of hikers and new area to hike for many of us. The hike in Friday night wasn't too bad, I enjoy night hiking. It gave us a small sampling of the footing that we'd have all weekend. :eek:

The bouldering was really fun, and would love to re-visit with a smaller/lighter pack! Charles, I'm game but maybe not with snow....okay, maybe?? :eek:

We have a new respect for the Mighty Mahoosucs now! There are more ups & downs and not little ones....

It was great having both shelters to ourselves and not having to set up our tents that we hiked with...hmmm

Arm, thanks for the refreshments! We had faith, you'd come through for us! Charles, thanks for the leg massage..;)

Glad I waited the rain out and hiked to Success Mtn and got to do a few more ups & downs over boulders and then got to swim out! Thanks Steve & Arm for letting me tag along and Guy & Rebecca for your patience in waiting for us!

Can't wait for the next backpack trip....

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/MahoosucBackpackAdventure#

Great trip! I love the terrain in this area...all sorts of little ups and downs, open woods, rocky scrambles, ladders!! The notch was a fantastic playground of boulders. I'm looking forward to getting back there with a smaller pack!

Awesome trip, and excellent pics. I love the Mahoosucs and am now seriously stoked about getting back up there. :)

Wow, things appeared slightly damp. But with that crew and the 1000 watt smiles, you should have dried off in no time.

killer fun trip. thanks to all and esp arm for the trail majick:D

toss a 30-35 pound pack on your back and these "little" peaks will toss even the hardiest of hiker - a beating.

nice hiking with andy, steve and charles again after a long time. Think its been over 2 years since hiked with steve.

pemi-loop, pressie traverse?? freaking joke compared to a Mahoosuc traverse;)

30-35 lb pack - thats nothing.
the weather didnt look bad at all.
the mahoosucs dont look that great.
a bunch of smelly dirty hikers sleeping close together.

i guess im just jealous that i was not there!

really looks like a great time.

Mookie - you're starting to sound a lot like Jason Ferris!

The last time I went through Mahoosuc Notch was about 20 or so years ago when I was new to hiking and when the husband still hiked. There were many places along the trail that I remember with such clarity but there was also a great deal I did not remember....I'm wondering if that was by choice? It was nice to go back and experience it all over again with such a great group of people. As much as I would have liked to do the traverse all the way to Gorham I think we would have needed one more day....the Mahoosucs are mighty hard! Thanks everyone for a super fun weekend.

-MEB

I can’t wait to go back and do the full traverse with a small pack and summer conditions. Anyone?

Excellent trip report and cool pics; many thanks for posting. I think that a small pack is the way to go on this one, and I need to go back as we bailed from Carlo, I believe, in a t-storm on my only one-day N-S attempt a few years ago. If we had made it to Gorham, the last couple of miles would have been in the dark, but the lightening was too scary to continue above treeline. I agree that the full Mahoosuc and Kilkenny Range traverses are harder than either the Presi traverse or the Pemi loop, especially given the lack of potable water [i.e., AMC hut(s)] en route. Good routes for carrying a water filter, especially if more than one person can share.

Where you guys been? Everything in the White Mountains is a cake walk!

I have backpacked the Maine AT from grafton notch to monson, its an amazing 175 miles, some of the wildest areas in the northeast!

Glad you had a great time- mahousuc notch is like a big jungle gym! I would love to do a short backpack south to Carlo Col someday soon.

Happy trails

Last edited:
Where you guys been? Everything in the White Mountains is a cake walk!

if ya take the dog routes up - hardy har har ;););)

on another note - whats the deal with all these 2 floored shelters having little glory holes in the floors? something going on that I should be knowing about??? roooo!!!

on another note - whats the deal with all these 2 floored shelters having little glory holes in the floors? something going on that I should be knowing about??? roooo!!!

oh the sickness....only you would notice that! :eek:

if ya take the dog routes up - hardy har har ;););)

yeah, how many other dogs been up the zeacliff trail with a pack?? :)