Mitzpah Spring Hut Renovations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was hiking out of the Highland Center today. There was a helicopter in the front yard and a very large volume of building materials. They hauled down a 10 yard dumpster full of wood, mostly polyurethane coated interior wood. They were hauling up loads of structural lumber, plywood and cedar shakes all day. I expect if someone wanted a souvenir of Mitzpah plenty of wood in the dumpster. I hadn't heard of nay renovations there but it sure looks like a fairly significant interior project.

I too was in that area yesterday. I asked about the many trips and the amount of "debris." I was told the helicopter was being used to re-supply/pre-supply many of the huts and the materials being brought back was also from many of the huts. Many of the doors had been trashed somehow over the winter. At least this is what I was told by a HC staffer.

Was up there Saturday. The debris pile is bigger than it looks in this photo. Looks like they pretty much gutted it. I was hoping to get a picture of the helicopter but they made me leave.

DSC_7332.JPG

Thanks, it sure looked to me like they gutted the interior by what they were hauling down to the bottom. There was lot of nice wood in dumpster down below later in the afternoon. I didn't see any stacks of sheetrock but would expect by the amount of structural lumber they were shipping up they are doing major interior work. If I had to guess, probably fire code work.

Last spring they had a pile of debris (still mostly under snow) in the same spot when I stayed there during self service season. The caretaker said she was throwing what melted out of the snow onto the pile so it was in one place. They were supposed to be coming soon to start taking it out at that time. It would seem it's possibly some on going upgrades or work. I didn't look at the pile last year that hard, but it didn't appear anything major had been done inside other than reapplying the coating to the floors in the dining area. Maybe it was prep work before this years upgrades.

I inquired at the Highland Center today and was told, they are rebuilding all the bunks.