Moderate snowshoe hike in the Catskills?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skennenden

Reaction score
After breaking trail to do Phelps last weekend, we're looking for a shorter and easier trip next weekend. Shorter drive, too. We live near Cortland,NY. We're not very familiar with the Catskill area. We've done Hunter, Windham, and Indian Head. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mountain that is in the 5-8mi.range round trip. I've read about Overlook,is that something good to do? Also, don't want to have to worry about getting in the way of skiers. We have the book, but wanted some opinions on good snowshoe trips. Any info. would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Ashokan High Point

a moderate (4-5 hour at decent pace) half day affair on snowshoes. Be sure to make the extra effort from the summit to "little Ashokan High Point" for some amazing views. More than likely this route has been broken and momentarily descends directly from the summit, then climbs again until you're on a very open shoulder of the mountain. Gotta love the Catskills, enjoy!

Moderate snowshoe hikes could include any of the peaks with fire towers. Hunter, Balsam Lake, Overlook, Red Hill, Tremper. Hunter probably the hardest and Red Hill the easiest. All offering great views.

Hunter and Balsam Lake being 3500+ peaks. Overlook and Red Hill part of the Catskill Hundred Highest. Tremper just a great hike with great views in the center of the Catskills.

I was up on Red Hill yesterday. About 2 feet of snow. A great little hike about 4 mile round trip. There were faint tracks from a few days ago, but we broke trail all the way up.

Enjoy

One of personal faverite winter hikes is Slide Mt. I like to add the Curtis-ormsbee trail to creat a loop of 6.7 miles. It makes a great moderate hike because you wont have to beak trail. You get some great views and if you want a little more challenge you can go beyond the summit and check out the other side.

Another Moderate one is the Giants ledge Panther Mt. Great views and another peak you probably wont have to break trail on.

We were looking at Slide in the trail book ,but are a little confused . Where does the trail head start and what is the total distance if we want to do a loop using the Curtis Ormsbee trail ? Is that the total distance from start to finish?

The Slide Mountain trailhead is on the east side of Route 47 (Slide Mountain Road), is well-marked, and easy to find. It's just a few minutes south by car from the Giant Ledge/Panther trailhead at the hairpin turn.

The ADK Catskill Trail Guide has decent directions to the trailheads, but you can also use Google and/or search these forums. Also, THIS site has basic trail info for the Catskills, Burrough's Range Trail, Curtis-Orsmbee, etc. included.

Snowshoe already mentions the loop as being under 7 miles. I'd also agree that this is perfect for someone wanting a moderate snowshoe. Slide was my first Catskill snowshoe hike. Unless you are heading out immediately after a snow-storm, the trail should be well-packed.

All the firetowers would be moderate hikes. Hunter would be the most challenging, but all of them are fairly short hikes that would be pleasent.

Don't forget Mt Tremper and Red Hill, though from Cortland, Red Hill would be a trip as it's in the very southern area of the high peaks region. Mt Tremper is by Phoenicia and on the Long Path.

FGP mentioned Ashoken High Peak, that is a beautiful peak with a moderate gain and serious reward!

Overlook would also be a nice peak with a good overlook of the hudson valley around Kingston area. You might find somebody XC skiing the road but not ever a problem or so, i.e. it is a road so it's easy to avoid the tracks if any, of course, with it is probly tracked out and padded down though.

You might also want to look at Blackhead or Thomas Cole, doing either has great views and is in the northern cats (on the same line as Windham HP) and both are nice moderate hikes. You can do Black Dome if you feel like it too from either TC or Blackhead depending on where you start...

Jay

Balsam Lake Mntn may be a bit closer for you guys than Ashokan High Point, but they are both great snowshoe hikes. Another would be Plateau from Stony Clove. An out and back across the top of Plateau on snowhoes thru the spruce would be really pretty. Burnt Knob and Acra Point are also gentler and in the Northern Cats. I also really like Peekamose, but I don't know if that's more output than you are looking for this weekend, and the road may be tough going if we get snow.

If you do chose Ashokan High Point, I suggest summitting and then going onward as far as the big meadow, then turning around, heading back the same way you came in. I've done the loop a few times and always find the trail spotty in sections back there. Also, it may not be broken out that far. Dropping off the summit down to the Knob (AKA Little High Point)is an easy bushwack.

Have a great hike!

Last edited: