Monadnock footwear experiments 6/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bristlecone

Reaction score
Ever since spraining my ankle running along a smooth, flat trail, I've been mulling over footwear in general. These wedges of foam that I teeter on.. is there another way?

After training here and there barefoot on local trails, and eventually allowing myself to graduate to vibram five fingers, it was time for a more substantial trip. Going up parker and the lower cliff walk, I eased in with sneakers. I had planned to switch into the five fingers, but relaxing at the lookout at the cliff/lost farm junction, I couldn't resist ditching the shoes altogether. The rocks in the sun were pleasantly warm, while the muddy, squishy bits were pleasantly cool.

I even met another barefooter on the way up
IMG_2929.jpg

On bald rock, five fingers in the pack and nuclear option strapped to the outside
IMG_2934.jpg

Went up white arrow and back down smith summit. Just short of mount rosa, my feet were feeling ready to slip into something prophylactic, so on went five fingers for the rest of the trip.

After climbing back up the marlboro, I spent some very pleasant quiet time on the open rocks west of the summit, idly watching shadows lengthen and ravens soar. It would have been a great night to watch the sunset, but, then, a late night, and I wasn't feeling that. Getting out there on a beautiful afternoon was tonic enough.