Monadnock Region

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainmain

Reaction score
Planning a two night backpacking trip in two weeks. The less snow the better...I am thinking Monadnock...any suggestions on how I should plan it. (anyother recommendations as to places)...I don't own crampons and I will bring snow shoes if necessary, but prefer not to...

Thanks,

rainmain said:
Planning a two night backpacking trip in two weeks. The less snow the better...I am thinking Monadnock...any suggestions on how I should plan it. (anyother recommendations as to places)...I don't own crampons and I will bring snow shoes if necessary, but prefer not to...
I'm planning on hiking the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway in a couple weeks. Planning on starting April 12 (Monday) and taking three, maybe four days if I can get a car spotted at each end (50 mile trail).

Doubt if snowshoes/crampons will be needed.

Send me a pm if you're interested.

Frosty

ps Be aware that Monadnock is a state park and you can only camp on it legally (as far as I know) at the campground.

I don't believe it is legal to camp in the State Park at Mondanock except for at the camping area near the park entrance.

-dave-

rainmain said:

Thanks,

I don't think you'll have to worry about snow around here unless something freakish happens (which wouldn't be the first time). I spent all winter waiting for snow to fall.

There's no overnight camping allowed on Monadnock, but it should make some fine day trips.

If you're interested in an overnight in the area, you might want to consider the Wapack Range, from Watatic in Ashby, MA to Pack Monadnock in Greenfield, NH -- a total of 21 miles. There's camping available (for a fee) at Windblown XC in New Ipswitch at the halfway point, but you'd have to spot a car.

I will be posting a proposal for an end to end on the Wapack shortly, as soon as I have a better handle on my schedule.

no camping in monadnock. you most definitly want need snowshoes/crampons with all the rain where getting right now 3" so far another 2 on the way tonite.

AlpineSummit said:
The approach from the north is much less used and therefore quieter & more desireable IMHO. It's near a pond - Dublin Pond maybe? Dunno exactly as it's been many moons.......

Directly north is the Dublin Trail, a direct 2-mile shot up the mountain and fairly popular. To the east of that (northeast corner of park) is the Pumpelly Trail, which you may be thinking of. It is the longest (~4 miles) and most difficlut climb up Monadnock, and least used, but absloutely the best trail.

Frosty

I'll second the Pumpelly Trail - it's a wonderful route, with plenty of variety. The spring that I did it there were hot, summerlike temperatures on the exposed shelves, and air-conditioned hollows still full of snow. Given our recent rain, you will not have that!

Though ... you will hit one point where the trail disappears into and out of a vernel pool, which is likely to be doing well this spring.

Last edited:
one thing is for sure you better like crowds becuase once you reach the summit there will be 100+ at least there where the few times i have gone up.

S&M Trail

The S & M Trail (AKA Monadnock- Sunapee Greenway Trail) has legal established campsites/at least one leanto along it's length. Please consider joining the MSGTC, it's only $5/year, they do a great job.