Monroe and Washington 7-1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticks

Reaction score
Arrived at trailhead about 7:30 and started hiking up Ammonoosuc Trail at 7:40. Temp 62 degrees.Not many cars there yet and the summit was socked in with nasty dark clouds. Had checked the forecast and they said higher summits in and out of the clouds all day with a 40% chance of rain and thunderstorms wind 35-55 mph.:eek:
The trail was a bit wet and muddy down low but no problems at all. As we continued up the trail we could see the clouds breaking up and sun peeking out here and there. :)
The ledges were awesome and were wet but no problems getting over them. The water was really coming down the cascades and was a beautiful sight.

Arrived at the hut to sunshine and a bit windy, dropped packs and heading over to Monroe. Bluebird skies and a bit breezy. From the summit of Monroe George was in and out of the clouds.
Back at the hut grabbed a bite to eat and chatted with the croo and a few thru hikers.
Headed up Crawford Path towards the rock pile. On the way up met Hiker Bob who was doing a mini traverse. Nice seeing you again Bob!
Also ran into a guy who was hiking barefoot :eek: He may have been a thru hiker?? His pack and gear was made from some Tyvec material and duct tape.
Had I not been so shocked at what I saw I would have chatted with him awhile.
Got to the summit and sun still out but winds were increasing. Temp was at 42 degrees and had to add some layers. Not too many folks up there for a change.
The clouds really started to get dark and I could see them rolling in from the north. Time to go.

Headed down Great Gulf Trail to Gulfside to Jewell. Views into the Great Gulf were incredable. Would like to go down or up the Great Gulf trail to Spaulding Lake sometime. Heard and smelled the cog :mad: Was wanting to moon the cog but never was close enough for them to get a good moon shot :rolleyes:
The Jewell Trail is in good condition and has a new and bigger bridge at Clay Brook, old one washed out and is still on the river bank.
Beat most of the rain and strong winds and no bugs..... :D
Arrived at trailhead at 3:00.

Another great day in the whites.

Some pics here
http://homepage.mac.com/casaba2/PhotoAlbum42.html

Happy Trails :D

Sticks

We must have just missed you...I still cannot believe anyone hikes barefoot - I have hard enough time seeing people in trail runners!
Nice report and pics...as you scroll thru your shots you can really see how the weather changed!

Hey Sticks, had a blast hiking with you again, as always. I'm glad the weather held for us and that you were able to finally bag Washington and Monroe. Poison Ivy gave a link to a marine hiking the AT barefoot and I think this is the same guy that we saw.

Check out http://www.thelongwalkhome.org/

Thanks Roxi great to hook up with you again.

Wow that is the same guy, same gear and all. Now I really wished I had stopped to chat with him :(

Sapblat, what time were you up there?