Monroe and Washington via Ammonoosuc, Crawford, Gulfside, and down Jewell

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawn Sale

Reaction score
Nobleboro, Maine Avatar: Even my shadow hikes!
Hiked 3/15/08 with Ian and Josh. Left the Cog railway at 10:30AM, spent 30 minutes fiddle-farting on Monroe and 10 minutes on Washington, arrived back at the Cog at 6:40PM.

Trail was deep packed snow, easily barebootable below treeline on Ammonoosuc and Jewell. Crampons required above treeline due to icy conditions. Snowshoes were not needed at any time*. Saw one set of Stabilicers tracks, but I think crampons would be more beneficial.

Water crossings easy, one blowdown on Jewell, difficult hiking in places due to high amount of snow making your head hit branches all the time (at least if you're 6' tall). Tracks all over the place on Monroe and Washington, so follow the cairns to avoid getting too far off-trail.

Hike was warm with clouds and no wind until approach to Mt. Washington, where it picked up and the temperature dropped considerably. Hardshell upper layer a must, along with protection for extremities. Sleet falling on the way down, but cleared when we reached treeline.

Lawn Sale
[email protected]

* I had originally posted to not bother taking snowshoes. New hikers and those not comfortable with winter hiking should always bring snowshoes. I was chastised by one person for mentioning to leave them at home. Every experienced hiker knows the dangers of hiking in the winter and should pack appropriately, not just for current conditions, but for those unseen as well.

Last edited: