Monroe, attempt #, gosh whos still counting?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Well, we started up the Ammo trail with the highest of hopes. I knew the way, I've been there enough lately... MEB, Carmel and I were joined by Arm. Giggy and Jeff. Thank you so much guys for breaking the trail, it was tought going at times. What a difference from last weekend when it was so icy. We made it up to the hut no problem, lots of interesting conversations of hikers favorite topics... :rolleyes:
After the guys congratulated me and headed off for more adventure, the girls and I headed up for Monroe. About half way from the hut we stopped in the wind and put on the crampons, it was rough going. A little further along, after batteling the high steady winds, trying to keep our gear on our bodies and our feet on the ground, we decided to bail. The wind was brutal, and the ice crystals it was sending at us were very biting.
After getting back to the hut we went into the dungeon to warm up and regroup. Okay, we had all our fingers toes and noses!
On down the trail we went, with thoughts of Moat Mountain brews and food in our heads.
Another attempt, a little closer, maybe NEXT time I can turn around in sight of the marker!! ;)

Really it is ok with me. For me, hiking is about getting outside, meeting people, seeing the trail and the trees and the rivers and the mountains. And enjoying it all. It was nice to meet so many people today, and to be outside in the fresh, if a bit brisk, air. no Regretts! Christine

chinooktrail said:
For me, hiking is about getting outside, meeting people, seeing the trail and the trees and the rivers and the mountains. And enjoying it all.

Christine,

You summarized what I've never been able to fully express to my "flat-lander" friends & family; it sounds like you have your priorities where all us hikers should have them- you'll not soon go wrong w/ that outlook!

I have conversed with the powers that have held you at bay lo these forlorn weeks and thy will hath been done. Now is the dawn of a new era, an era of good feelings and gladness shall bound from every split in every rock.....

On the fifteenth day of the fourth month; we shall pass unceremoniusly beneath the angled sky and walk atop the.....um....uh.....top of Monroe.
(Lets get both tops for good measure).

Sometimes some mountains are just out there to taunt us! For you, I guess it's Monroe _ but it's great to see you still with a positive attitude about it all. Nice TR!

You gotta love the positive outlook. You are right.. it isn't "frustration", it is a great hike with great people, being outdoors, and enjoying life. Sometimes, too often, some of us lose track of that.

So on that note, we are tagging her on the fifteenth!!!!

it twas a great day anyway! man - that wind came out of nowhere - in about 20 seconds, I went from comfy warm to frozen hands, and face before stopping stopping to layer up :eek: :eek: and put on spikes.

We waited for you guys on the summit for about 20-30 minutes - and when nobody came, arm and I went down to look and see if you guys were ok - we thought someone might have got hurt, etc - then we saw 3 dots by the hut. :(

at least you got to hike with 3 swell dudes!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

rest of our trip was nice, winds died a bit, were still an minor issue till about ike. No many people out in the hills it seemed. :confused: fun day. good convo, good folks, what else can you ask for. :D :D

Your Monroe is my Moosilauke. :rolleyes:

"To turn around that close to the summit... That showed incredibly good judgment... I'm impressed - considerably more impressed, actually, than if he'd continued climbing and made the top."
-- Rob Hall, of Goran Kropp's solo ascent of Everest

And your Monroe is my Mendon! It took 4 tries to get there, what with deep snow, a compass I hadn't learned to trust, night falling way too soon, sudden illness...Chinook, it will be that much sweeter when you finally stand on top.

Hey Christine....we did about 99 1/2% of Monroe so that must count towards something....right? :D You are so right though...it is all about the company and just getting outside and having a good time...and of course we did get to hike with "three swell dudes" who graciously broke trail for us! What more could we ask for anyway. Thank everyone for all the laughs and another memorable day.

-MEB

oh it was so much fun and so great to meet you (christine and jeff) and to see all of the rest of you again (MEB, ARm, and giggy)!

I am very excited to report that I got to have my first (second, third, fourth)experience with spruce traps trying to eat me (i must be sweet :) )...

I have a little (but VERY important and knowledgable) hint for anyone that doesn't know (coming from a now very experienced victim); if you get stuck in a human gobbling spruce trap...NEVER laugh, because if you keep on laughing, you cannot breath, and if you cannot breath, you cannot lift yourself out of it, and then you'll be stuck there forever!!!

If you remain calm, boring, and as serious as possible, you just may have a chance of escaping!!

Talk about a WINDY almost-summit! Thank goodness there were no cops up there, because there was no way i could have passed a sobriety test to save my LIFE!!!!!!! :D

Anyways, hopefully i'll see you all again on saturday at tucks!

giggy-ummm, be careful with the boloney...it will make your "eh hem" look big!

Christine-Good luck at your next attempt, hopefully you'll have just as much fun and you'll be able to finish it up with a growler of the Moat IPA!!

Last edited: