Monroe, the Second Try - 4/2/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LenDawg

Reaction score
Following a short night sleep (daylight savings) at Camp Chinook, Professor Drewski, Chinooktrail, and I headed to the Cog train station to start up our quest of trying to get Christine closer to finishing her overall list. In lieu of the forecasted high winds, Drewski suggested that we head up the Ammonoosuk Trail first and try for Monroe, then Jefferson if the weather holds.

After avoiding the Cog Station support staff, especially the Coffee Nazis (I looked, but didn’t see Drew’s picture up with a “Wanted” sign by it), we began up the Ammonoosuk Trail at around ten of nine. We barebooted the bottom section, changing into crampons at about the point where there is an off-trail split to the ravine. We made good time up the mountain, finally making it to the tree line. The temperature was cool, and the wind kept gaining as we became more exposed to the elements and less protected by the trees. As usual, I did my seven “Mr. Roger’s” clothes changing, anything to stay somewhat dry.

Drewski lead the parade up the final push to the hut. The wind was blowing at a steady 50+ mph and visibility was about fifty feet. After a quick stop on the lee side of the hut, Drew and Christine started up a little ways toward the summit, before coming back and deciding not to go. Drew said he just couldn’t see anything, and Christine was getting blown all over the place. Being the Doubting LenDawg that I am, I headed toward the first cairn. When I got there, I turned back. The wind was already doing a number on the slightly exposed skin I had, and I couldn’t see the hut. I could hear James Monroe laughing at his April Fool’s joke, but it would only get funnier as the day continued. I headed back to the hut and joined the others. This was no fun, so we started the descent.

I took several pictures on the climb down. We stopped for lunch when we were out of the wind. Soup, cheese and crackers, and Christine’s homemade smoothie were on the menu. Sorry Cath, but this is better than store-bought!

On our way down, we met Emily, the infamous Lonesome Lake Hut girl who the three of us first met while doing our Lonesome Lake overnight with YAM, LittleSister, and MEB. Emily was with her friend heading up the mountain. I hope they faired better than we did.

As soon as we got to the bottom, the clouds cleared and there was an amazingly clear view of Jefferson, Washington, Monroe, and so-on. APRIL FOOLS! Don’t worry Christine, we’ll do it again. The hike was very fun, despite not summiting. I really enjoyed hiking with both Drew and Christine. These are two real people who just like to hike. Thanks again!

My Pics:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Uc=67t3qkc.ciz1itk&Uy=-yy83nq&Ux=0

If at first you don’t succeed…

Try, try again. :)

Too bad you didn’t make the summit. The report and pictures suggest you had a good day in spite of the very difficult conditions. Hopefully, next time around the weather will cooperate. I’d like to join you on a Jefferson-Washington-Monroe day.

Earl

Thank you Lenny for writing this trip report up. And thank you for the photos, glad you didn't get one of me with the little black cloud hat on on the way down! :mad:
GRRRRRRR!

Okay, this was my THIRD time trying to get Monroe, and I think I will just keep going every 2 weeks until I get it. The Easter Bunny is just going to have to hop up there to give me my basket!

I was amazed, again, at how quickly the weather changes. From almost no visibility to beautiful blue skies in under 1/2 hour! Mother Nature really rocks.

Thanks to Drew for letting me borrow his crampons, I like the steel biting into the ice, but not so much when it bites into my pants! Like Rubber Ducky said, the proper care and feeding of your crampons... Drew, yours should be full for a long long time. I am recovering from a little tumble on the way down, thankfully I fell once we got back on snow and ice, rather than the sharp and decidedly uncomfy looking rocks near the hut. The bruises should go away soon. :eek:

Once again, I think we made the right decision to turn around. The whole way up I kept thinking, ok, I'm going to get it this time! The way down, I was thinking *&^$^%$#&*^)(!!! But I got over it.

Taking a weekend off from our mountains, and then try try again!

Thank you Drew and Len for helping me out with the little water mishap in my pack before we even hit the trail too, my pack is STILL wet! :mad:

Oh well, I will gt there eventually! :rolleyes:

Nice trip report Len.
Christine your on a roll girl. Remember the mountains
will always be there! Isn't Drew the man!!!

chinnook: It took me about 7 times to get jefferson in the winter due to bad weather days - your time will come. keep the spirits up :D the fun is the journey (but certainly not this journey :eek: :eek: )

Nice pictures Lenny! Too bad the weather did not clear sooner for you all....the wind was really whipping on Sunday too. Christine, I know you'll get up there and I hope to join you for the next go around. :)

-MEB

Aw man, ain't nothin simple right?

Good job stopping when you did. It's never easy, especially when the weather changes afterwards.

Hi All,
Yes, I was just a smidge disapointed at not getting it this time, ESPECIALLY since when we returned to to Cog the view was spectactular. (Especially Drew in his wig and big sunglasses, trying to avoid the Coffee Police.)
I still think I hold some sort of record for # of turn arounds on 4000 footers... ;)
I mean REALLY, who turns around on CABOT?!?!
Besides me of course.

It was really hard to make that choice, but the wind was nuts, and I was too cold, and trying to navigate the trail, let alone where my feet were going. It started out with a bad omen, opening my pack and having all my gear soaked due to a leaking Camelback... Sometimes it just sucks to be me.
I should have taken the hint and gone home and read by the woodstove, but no, I had to go and have fun climbing a mountain! It really was a nice hike, regardless of not reaching the summit. It is after all about the journey, and not the destination. ;)

Still, while you were reading by the woodstove you would have been asking yourself if you should have gone.

I think you made the right choice, an attempt is not a failure, just a learning point on the trip.

I don't think it's about the journey so much as it's about the fun you have while on the journey.

You'll make it, of that I have no doubt, and when you do, it'll be much sweeter with all the trials you've been having.