mooching for info, the Greylock and Algonquin edition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markv

Reaction score
An occasional visitor to your blessed land, i'm back to ask some questions about a trip 10 or so days from now.

If i were hellbent on hiking up Mt. Greylock via the Hopper Trail, is parking obvious? Is there a decent and at least semi-legal campsite part way in? What's the best source for info? Greylock St. Park ranger? I guess for such a short hike, i'm trying to resist buying a guidebook...just going to make due with internet and a topo map.

And...

If i'm hiking in from Calamity Brook towards Algonquin, will i have trouble finding camp space around Flowed Lands or Lake Colden? I've heard this is primo overcrowded area. What's the latest on the bugs? The weather? Is it hard to find the trailhead from the freeway or from Elizabethtown? Do i need a permit or parking pass like i did for Adirondack Loj?

Thanks for any general or specific ideas. This is a "cleanup" hike for me. I got Nor'easter'ed off of Greylock a couple years ago, and Algonquin got left out of my Marcy hike last year for lack of time. If i have extra time, i want to re-hike the west side of Mansfield...that was so memorable.

thanks!

Mark, I believe there is a small parking lot near Haley's Farm, I'm not too sure about a 'legal' campsite. There is the Sperry Campground near Stony Point, but that's at the top of the mountain. The best source for official info would probably be the Mount Greylock Visitors Center on Rockwell Rd.. 413-499-4262.

As for Algonquin, the area around Lake Colden and Flowed Lands can get a little congested on a weekend, but you shouldn't have any problem finding a tent site. Leanto might be a push. You will want to get off the NWay at exit 29, and take Blue Ridge Rd. toward Newcomb. It's a fair drive (10 -15 miles?) along this road. On the right will be a sign for Tahawus, NL Industries, and Upper Works trail parking. If you reach Rt. 28N, you've gone too far. Backtrack about a mile, but you should see it OK. The Tahawus Rd. will follow along the Hudson and past the abandoned mines. Stay on the road as far as it will go, the end is the Upper Works parking lot. There is no fee, but you will have to fill out a user permit at the sign in. By the way, you're not going anywhere near Etown.

thanks for the info

I just put Etown because the person i'm with wants to visit someone there, and we'll be there in between the 2 hikes.

Mark,

For Mt. Greylock, there is plenty of parking at the end of Hopper Road. If you take the Hopper trail up from the parking area and divert off on the Money Brook Trail, there's camping about .2 miles up. It would be an easy walk to get back on the Hopper Trail. Or, as masshysteria said, there is camping at and around Sperry Campground. It's about 1 and a half miles from the summit. Have fun!

There's a nice little parking area at the Hopper and Money Brook Trail head. It's at the end of Hopper Road which is a right turn off Route 43 heading east from Route 7. In terms of camping, I'm not sure I can add much. Both the Hopper Trail and the Money Brook Trail go about 3/4 of a mile before they enter an area marked "The Hopper-Restricted natural area", so you may be able to camp along either on this stretch (I woujld suggest Money Brook if it's allowed). Best bet is to call Mt. Greylock State Reservation and ask (413-499-4262).