Moose activity in Baxter ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Any good spots to see moose in Baxter now? Last time I was there and camping in the southern end of the park, they were everywhere - ponds, trails.
Any sighting tips in the southern end of the park would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

Sandy Stream Pond, a couple of miles of easy walking (if I remember) from Roaring Brook, on the way to South Turner Peak. Zer0-G and I spotted two moose while hiking it. Ranger said it is very common for moose over there..

Jay

Sandy Stream Pond is definitely the best reliable spot for moose. I have also had luck at Abol pond on the west side. Russell Pond and Chimney Pond have resident moose that campers get to share trails with at night but I rarely see them during the day. Nesourdanehunk field used to be good for moose but since they are letting it grow in I am not so sure and its a long drive up there

Sandy Stream is about a half-mile from Roaring Brook. It's like they keep a moose chained to a rock there for tourists.

When we were driving up to Roaring Brook the first time I asked my wife, "What's that horse doing on the road?"

They are all around up there.

Another vote for Sandy Stream Pond........at dawn and/or dusk

DSC01250_024a-M.jpg

DSC01251_025-M.jpg

DSC01249_023a-M.jpg

Thanks, my last trip to BSP was in the 80's. We just about tripped over them everywhere. Sandy Stream, on trails. One take-it-easy day at Sandy Stream Pond, momma moose was about 75yds out dipping and eating vegetation. We sat on the shoreline as twin calves waded toward us, getting close enough for us to reach out and touch if we'd wanted. Mother kept an eye on them and us and we had a quick escape route planned if Mom came running.
It's been so long since I've been there was looking for up to date info and the feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

Sandy Stream is about a half-mile from Roaring Brook. It's like they keep a moose chained to a rock there for tourists.

Actually, I thought the moose WERE BSP rangers, just dressed in a moose suit. I mean I have yet to see all BSP rangers and a Moose in the same picture.. :D

Jay

There is frequently a moose feeding near the outlet of Kidney Pond as well as Stump Pond which is right on the Tote Road just south of Abol Campground. Was in the park for a week in July and didn't see any, which is unusual in my experience. Did see 7 while paddling on Lazy Tom Stream near Moosehead Lake ... maybe they were all down there for a convention.

When I drove in to Roaring Brook last weekend, there was a VERY big bull moose standing in the middle of the road at about mile #5.

Nesourdanehunk field used to be good for moose but since they are letting it grow in I am not so sure and its a long drive up there
I almost hit a huge female last tuesday that was trotting down the center of Tote road ~ 2 3 miles from the Nesowadnehunk campground. lucky we weer both going the same direction. Then saw a smaller female in the field at Nesowadnehunk campground muching on the frosted leaves (early in the a.m.): moose.jpg

One strolled through the campsite next to mine the first time I camped at Roaring Brook, but that was in May, just a few days after the park reopened for the season.

May 1992, that is.

I’m pretty sure that Sandy Stream Pond is even closer — only three-tenths of a mile from the campground, but there are different viewpoints; a boardwalk, first, then Big Rock.

A bit of a reminiscence, I grew up in Portland but did get out in the southern Maine woods on occasion and moose were just about unknown in the area. My parents would drag us up to Canada to see the relatives every summer and about every third year we went up via RT 201 in Maine (which is now well known for moose crashes). There were no road signs for moose and about the only time you heard of moose is when one rare one would wander around in southern maine and would be shot as it was most likely suffering from the "brain worm". There was no moose hunt or hint of one. I first went up to Baxter as a boy scout in 1969 or 70 we stayed at the Millinocket Scout Troops private campground in the park on Abol pond (now signed as Abol Pond staff administrative area). There were several resident moose including a big bull in the pond. It was the first time the majority of us including the leaders had seen moose. The park staff pretty much said that the only reliable place to see moose in that part of Maine was at Baxter. I expect they were also farther up north. Of course in the back woods, moose were known as the "guvnors" meat and given the ease of hunting them, I expect the rural folks kept the population down.

There wasn't much about moose on the news until after the spruce budworm epidemic of the late seventies/early eighties. Most of the large spruce stands were either dead or salvaged cut and most of the woods of northern maine started re-growing and the moose population exploded with the excellent feed conditions . After about 10 years, they brought back the hunt. Given that the spruce stands have regenerated to the point where landowners are now looking at thinning cuts, I wonder if the population is going to adjust to a lower density as the number of clear cuts are reduced.