Moose sighting in SE NY - And it came from CT?!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article states that Connecticut has a small Moose population! :eek:

Any of you CT'ers ever seen one?
Nope. I've never seen moose, but I've seen tracks a few times (once on the Paradise Lane trail on Bear Mtn, once near the bottom of Alander (which, granted, is just over the state line,) and once or twice in a few other places.)

I can't imagine the population could be more than a handful of individuals. There just isn't enough room for them. The plateau and the stretch between Sharon and Kent along US-7 are about the only places I could imagine moose living without constantly running into people or cars.

For what it's worth, I live in the NE part of CT (the "quiet corner,") I'm surrounded by woods, and I'm near the smallest and most isolated town in the state. I've spent thousands of hours in the woods around here and I've never seen the slightest evidence of moose, so I'd wager they're all in the NW corner near the NY border.

I haven't seen one yet, but there was one in the schoolyard of the town I work in last year. A couple years ago a woman from NH (ironically) was killed or injured on the Merrit Parkway (Southern Ct) by a moose. Populations must be pretty healthy up north to force them south.

We had one running down the middle of RT 83 in Vernon several years ago. I kid you not, while I was in a Chinese restaurant waiting for a "to go" order. Made the news.

Other than that, no, I haven't seen them or scat from them.

Keith

Well, living in Lenox, if I spot one moseying up Rts 7 or Rt 20, I will surely give a holler.. I almost hit a small deer with my bike this morning close to Rt 7 in Lenox, but I'm sure it was just a small deer..

Jay

We had one running down the middle of RT 83 in Vernon several years ago. I kid you not, while I was in a Chinese restaurant waiting for a "to go" order. Made the news.

Other than that, no, I haven't seen them or scat from them.

Keith
83 in Vernon? Surely you can't mean the woods behind the Panda Palace? :p

I grew up down the street from there. I don't think I ever saw so much as a deer in those woods. Apparently a lot has changed in the valley.

83 in Vernon? Surely you can't mean the woods behind the Panda Palace? :p

I grew up down the street from there. I don't think I ever saw so much as a deer in those woods. Apparently a lot has changed in the valley.

No, I mean trotting right down the center yellow line in the middle of the state highway in front of Panda Palace. :p Several years, maybe 10 or so years ago.

It was a surprise. :D

Keith

No, I mean trotting right down the center yellow line in the middle of the state highway in front of Panda Palace. :p Several years, maybe 10 or so years ago.

It was a surprise. :D

Keith
I was just speculating that he might live back there since that's the only sizable parcel of woods I can think of until you near South Windsor.

But yeah... that certainly would have surprised me. 10 years ago, now, or any time. :p

If they're in Vernon, I'm shocked that I've never seen evidence of them here in the hills. I'm in the woods here literally every day for half the year. I guess I've been unlucky.

No sightings but I have seen tracks and "sign" in Tunxis S.F.

What's the deal with that Hop River State Park Trail there ? Any brew-pubs in the area ? Tom Rankin wants to know ! :)
It's a rail trail. Most of it is fairly unremarkable, but it goes by Bolton Notch, which is pretty nice (there are some small caves if you want to poke around near the top.) I believe it also links up with the Shenipsit Trail near Valley Falls (and if it doesn't directly, it's easy enough to reach from Bolton Notch SP.)

As for pubs...
Bidwell Tavern in Coventry is nearby. They have plenty on tap, but more importantly they have the best wings on the planet. Unquestionably. It's also worthwhile if only because there aren't too many other 200-year-old pubs in this country. I don't get there as often as I like, but it's more than worth the trip.

Not a hotbed of activity but they are clearly here.

CarMooseCollisions.jpg

I saw one in MA on Route 23 four or so years ago, south of the MA Pike so it would make sense that Northern CT would have a few.

Did hear about the Merritt crash also.

Last edited: