Mooselauke 6/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooly

Reaction score
After meeting up with mookie, and camping the rain began to fall on our way to breakfast sunday morning. We watched people dodge increasingly larger and steadier raindrops from our vantage point at Peg's for about an hour. We all wondered when the deluge would end. It didn't seem to want to quit anytime soon.
At about 8:30 am, we headed into lincoln to perhaps kill some time and hope the rain away. Mookie decided that he was going to bail and head back to VT. If it cleared up, he'd get a hike in over there. Gillian and i went for coffee and then nosed about Lahouts for a bit. I was getting ready to call it a day and head back home.
The previous night had deemed me restless. My aching back and neck refused to allow me any comfort while the rain pelted my tent. I awoke tired, grumpy and feeling cruddy... stupid summer cold. Then, it seems on a whim...the rain ceased. Gillian urged me to hike, i felt reluctant, but agreed. As on saturday, i thought a walk in the woods would make me feel better. So off to the trailhead we went.
The trail was sopping wet and the air was thick and moist as we made our way up the gorge brook trail. JJ must've been in doggie heaven with all of that water around. We moved fairly quickly as we admired the lush green forest. As we neared the treeline, the clouds had thinned and sun poked in and out of it's cover. We reached the peak, where there was a nice cool breeze. The clouds remained mostly in the valleys with views of a few peaks in the distance. Sheltered from the breeze, we sat in the old foundation for water and snacks. An AT hiker appeared soon after, and opted this spot for a snack as well. JJ tried to shmooze the man for a chunk of cheese but to no avail. A young lady, staying at the ravine lodge for the summer, also had joined us. We all spoke briefly, then parted ways.
We made our way down the carriage trail, which fairly easy on the knees. Then cut over the snapper trail back into the dank forest. At this point my head was throbbing and i was ready to be on my way home. We checked out the ravine lodge rather quickly on the way passed and headed on out. Very nice hike that i will do again ...

It was only after returning home and showering that i had noticed the oblong bull's eye like rash on my upper inner thigh...stupid lyme disease

Last edited:
Ooh, bummer dude. Good luck with that. Hope the hike on Moosilauke was a reprieve from your troubles.

Lovely hike on Moosilauke and we were lucky enough to see some blue skies!..I'm not always that lucky on this particular summit. We saw a bright red newt on the Gorge brook trail...I believe its called a red eft? Unfortunately I didn't get a photo but perhaps you have a pic of one these little guys forestgnome? :)

yeah yeah,
i know i should have stuck it out. i ended up hiking a small section of LT, was trying to get to bolton from rte 2, never realized how damn far it was. only hiked a few miles in and the humidity was killing me. brutal day. got up to some clearings and the black clouds were rolling in. turned around and went home. would have preferred to hike the moose with you guys.
gooly....take care of that "rash"!!!!
GG, decide on a plan yet for the weekend?

gooly... yeah, good luck with that "rash" ... on your "upper inner thigh" ....

mookie... GG's going contra dancing with me this weekend... unless you'd like to be my partner instead ?

HTML:
mookie... GG's going contra dancing with me this weekend... unless you'd like to be my partner instead ?

pass. not a singer nor a dancer. sorry!

Hey, we were planning on joining you but the rain in the AM was pretty heavy & the thunder. As we were enjoying Tony's coffee :p

Figured it would be a pretty wet hike and opted to head home early. Glad you had a desent hike, take care of that rash & cold......

It was nice seeing you guys in Lincoln.

it was nice to you guys as well...too bad we didn't get hike. there's always next time...