Moosilauke Carriage Road Ski?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_151

Reaction score
I'm getting a bit interested in this ski descent. Could anyone tell me if this is a doable trip for an intermediate with Karhu Ursa skis (65-55-60, partial edges), SNS Profil bindings and light touring boots? Are skins necessary? Also, anyone recently been there with beta on the snow conditions?

That's better than the gear I've used about half the time. Wow, shaped skis and edges!

I know folks who have done it on lighter gear, but it may be like roller skating in a buffallo herd. Possible, but may not be fun (unless you are Steve Barnett).

For me, it wouldn't so much be the light skis as it would be the light boots.

Other alternatives would include the Al Merrill and Asquam Ridge. I've done the Al Merrill light gear and found it to be challenging but delightful. Really nice views of Moosilauke from the top and good skiing.

I've included basic info on all three trips so you can compare. Distances are for round trips.

Moosilauke - Al Merrill
Distance: 9.3*
Climb: 1300 feet*
Feet/Mile: 140
Difficulty: easy/moderate
Trailhead:
Source:
Done: 2001
Notes: views; 800' feet in 3 miles
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/photos/map_mslk.jpg

Moosilauke - Asquam Ridge
Distance: 10 mile*
Climb: 1700 feet*
Feet/Mile: 170
Difficulty: easy/mod
Trailhead:
Source:
Done: No
Notes: views; 1300' in 3.5 miles
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/photos/map_mslk.jpg

Moosilauke - Carriage Road
Distance: 10.2 miles*
Climb: 2720 feet*
Feet/Mile: 267
Difficulty: more
Trailhead:
Source:
Done: No
Notes: southern exposure can get "gloppy" in spring

Thanks for the great info everyone. It looks like Asquam Ridge might be my better bet given my experience as well.

The next question is, with the lousy snow fall this year, will it be skiable? My heel is still recovering from the Moriah hike last Sunday, so it might be next weekend before I get a chance to go.

Mark

Asquam Ridge is possibly unbroken, especially from the upper Al Merrill junction to the Beaver Brook junction. Trail finding and following can be difficult in those conditions.

You have to add 3 miles to that loop to account for getting from 118 to the Ravine Lodge. It's gated and you'll need to hike/ski it. Asquam is a more difficult ski in places, but also more mellow in general. Not too many steep sections but no where near as wide as the Carriage Road.

There is some rain forecast for Friday, but I imagine the majority of the loop will still be skiable. The summit and ridge at or above treeline is probably not skiable.

-dave-