Moosilauke Traverse, June 9, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Reaction score
After a few emails, PM's and phone calls to coordinate, Kmac and I met for the first time at the Kinsman Notch/Beaver Brook Trail parking lot. We quickly got our things together and then headed off in my car for the trailhead for the Glencliff Trail on the west side of Moosilauke. The ride went by very quickly except for when I went south on route 25 instead of north because the road construction distracted me for a moment, but we quickly realized my mistake and turned around and quickly found the trailhead.

We headed off on our hike at about 9:30 am. The trail quickly entered a meadow where there were two distinct tracks. We followed the track that seemed a bit more worn going along the very left side of the meadow. The trail soon entered the woods where the trail intersects with the Hurricane trail. The trail then started to ascend but not too steeply but enough for us to decide that we were both a bit over dressed due to the wet weather forecast and expectations of cold wind due to Moosilauke's reputation. The weather was very muggy. We both adjusted our layers and stuffed any extra cloths in our packs. The mosquitoes were also making themselves known and we each sprayed a bit of deet on our exposed skin. We had to cross a few areas of very wet boot sucking mud along the trail, but did our best to avoid the deepest spots and step on the rocks along the way, although Kmac did christen her nice new hiking boots in one of the mud holes. Fortunately she had full length gaiters on as well!

We quickly make it to the intersection with the Carriage Road and took the short detour over to the South Summit. The only other time that I had hiked up Moosilauke I didn't bother going to the South Summit and I wanted to tag it this time. It was a short and easy walk. As we took a quick break on the South Summit the clouds started to break apart a bit teasing us with bits of views over to the main summit and into the valley. We headed on over towards the main summit where the large cairns were like apparitions coming out of the fog. We passed a couple of other hiking parties on our way to the summit. Everyone seeming to enjoy their hike despite the lack of views. We quickly gained the summit proper at about noon where we met a family from Los Angeles in the area for their daughter’s graduation from Dartmouth. They also seemed to be enjoying their introduction to our New England peaks while climbing the "Dartmouth Mountain".

Kmac and I had our pictures taken at the summit sign and then ate a quick lunch sitting in the ruins of an old foundation. We then headed off towards the Beaver Brook Trail. Near where the trail comes close to the summit of Mount Blue there were some interesting views into the very rugged Jobildunk Ravine. Once we passed the Beaver Brook shelter the trail became very steep and due to the recent weather was very slippery. This was an area where we wanted to be very careful because a fall on this trail could have very dire consequences. On the other hand the views of the water falls of Beaver Brook were exceptional. Kmac and I took our time on this trail due to the difficult footing and the views of the water falls. We both appreciated the steel rebar hand rails that the trail builders had installed in a couple of the very steep sections. We managed to get down with out any problems and found ourselves on easy ground and back at the Beaver Brook trailhead. We had a great hike and while it was muggy and a bit drizzly at times the real rains had held off.

We took Kmac's car and headed off back towards my car at the Glencliff trailhead. We were both talking and not paying attention and we drove right past the turn for route 118 off of 112 and so we took 93 down. That was definitely the loong way. We got to my car and headed back up 118 to Woodstock and grabbed a bite to eat at Woodstock Inn. I then headed home and Kmac headed up to Franconia Notch for her weekend of volunteering for the AMC at the Greenleaf Hut.

Here are some pictures.

Woody

Last edited: