More views than we expected on Mt. Waumbek and Starr King

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
Date: 11-17-12
Summit: Mt Starr King and Waumbek
Elevation: 2400 feet
Mileage: 7.2 miles round trip
# 14/48 for my son Mountain Man Matt
My 3rd trip to Waumbek
PICS ARE HERE:
http://s1343.photobucket.com/albums... Waumbek with Matt and Tony November 17 2012/

My son Matt as promised was back on the trail this weekend and had invited his friend Tony along as well. We decided on Mt. Waumbek and a date of Saturday November 17th, 2012 with a leave time of 7:30 am. We got off a few minutes late but that was ok and arrived at the trail-head at 9:45 am, prepped our gear, got the hiking boots on and beat feet by 10:00 am. The lot was now mostly full and we expected to see several folks along our way. It took us awhile to settle in on a leader to set the pace but we finally agreed on Matt. It was turning out to be a nice sunny day with highs near 37 degrees and gorgeous blue skies with no wind. Who could ask for more this time of year.

The trail began with a slight dusting of snow and we soon came upon the well along the trail on the right and layered down. We kept a decent pace for quite awhile heading up through the hardwoods. The trail had the occasional wet spots with little bit of ice here and there on the upper part of the hardwoods. Before long we were heading into the firs for the hike along the ridge line. I love this part and we took our time enjoying every moment. The trail only had an inch or two of snow though with everyone trouncing it down it was getting a bit glazed. We started looking for the spring sign on the left at the upper end of the firs section of trail but still somehow managed to miss it because we were so busy chatting away in conversation. We got to the summit in 2 hours and were happy with that considering our pace and the group dynamics. Lunch was the first thing on our minds- grinders and Red Bull followed by hot chocolate and pumpkin bread. Strange but tasty, for sure! Tony spent some time lounging around while Matt headed for the top of the chimney where he got some nice views and discovered a memory rock placed there in memory of someone's mom. I don't know the story on this so if someone does, please enlighten us. Thanks. We spent about 45 minutes or more here with just a few passers by. One young couple hung out with us for awhile and then lit out just ahead of us to go tag Waumbek.

It was a fun hike over to Mount Waumbek with one stop early on to get on some warm gloves as 2 of the 3 of us had cold hands. The summit of Waumbek was about as uneventful as I remember it the last time. We took our photos and someone coming through was nice enough to share with use that there was a nice view another 100 feet down the trail. We decided to head on down and were pleased at the views to the northern Presi's! What a treat! Now all that was left to do was to enjoy hike back out to the car. We stopped on Starr King on the way back for a few moments and to make clothing adjustments for the walk out. There was a little slipping and sliding every now and again but no need for micro-spikes as there was not enough snow and too many rocks still. I looked for the spring on the way back and did finally find it when I looked back up the trail and said, "It should be right here" and there it was. Silly me. Too busy looking where I was walking I suppose... The trail has a wonderful grade from start to finish, the footing is decent and I think I enjoy it more each time I summit good old Waumbek.

Near the trail-head we saw a tree with a big bulge in the middle of it and a discussion began as to whether folks who make wooden bowls might not use a tree with a big old know in it like that tree had. Anyways, at the trail head Matt still had enough energy to go climb a vee in a tree nearby. Of course, I said that if he had that much energy still then maybe next weekend needs to be a 2 summit hike with more miles.... mmmm. We shall see. He is trying to weasel out of winter hiking but I am trying hard to acquire myself a winter hiking partner. We shall see... This will be my first winter hiking more than one or 2 summits all winter. I am hoping to get out every weekend and really knock some names off my winter 48 list. Time will tell.