Moriah & Shelburne-Moriah from the Wild River Wilderness 8/16/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Feathered Hat

Reaction score
Trails: Moriah Brook, Carter-Moriah, Kenduskeag, Shelburne
Total miles: 15
Time: 10 hours*

Steve Smith, in his book "The 4,000-Footers of the White Mountains," describes the 15-mile loop over these two peaks from a start at the Wild River campground as "spectacular," and for good reason: not only does the loop hike provide superlative views from the ledges and summits of Moriah and Shelburne-Moriah, but it also includes the beautiful Moriah Brook Trail (which I had heard from a second-hand source is one of Steve's favorites) and the nearly equally nice southern leg of the Shelburne Trail. It's a great introduction to the Wild River Wilderness.

But it's a butt-kicker too, especially yesterday when the heat and humidity felt as heavy to Tuckerman and me as a hot, wet wool blanket. We both sweated buckets.

Things began wonderfully, though. Out of the campground a quarter-mile or so, an excellent suspension bridge...
3830027472_db94261890.jpg

... crosses the Wild River, and in another quarter-mile the Moriah Brook Trail begins its long meander up to the junction with the Carter-Moriah Trail, more than five miles away. This trail is as advertised: it crosses through a gorgeous birch wood, hugs close to Moriah Brook much of the way, and features several refreshing water crossings, all of them rock-hoppable right now.
3830031890_861cfbef52.jpg

3829234731_e442321e3f.jpg

From about the 2,500-foot level up to the junction, which is at the 3,000-foot elevation, things get a little steep, but overall the Moriah Brook Trail is about the nicest way to gain 2,000 elevation feet you can imagine. Muddy in spots, and very muddy in two or three, but overall just a delight.

We began to feel the effects of the day's heat and humidity on the steep climb up the Carter-Moriah Trail from the junction up to the ledges below Moriah's summit and took several short breathers. A small but cooling breeze occasionally rippled our hair up on the ledges and on the summit, and thank goodness for that. On the peak we enjoyed lunch in the company of two gentlemen who had climbed up from the Carter-Moriah trailhead in Gorham, and Tuckerman had his 10th of the NH48...
3829240723_1e9e8e1caa_b.jpg

Then we got on to the business of our next goal: Shelburne-Moriah Mountain. The best thing about the stretch of the Kenduskeag Trail from Mt. Moriah to the junction with the Rattle River Trail, is that along its 1.4-mile length there are a zillion excellent puncheons -- maybe as much as a quarter-mile, or perhaps even more, of the route is on these well-constructed bog bridges.
3830041040_89c4aa8b64.jpg

After the Rattle River Trail junction, where we met a couple of guys who wound up being the last people we saw on the trail for the rest of the day, we began the steady climb up to the summit of Shelburne-Moriah Mountain...
3829244225_e7515c4ab0.jpg

Now the heat and humidity really began to wear us down, and I was getting worried about water. I had about a cup of water, total, left in my water bottles, but I was worried more about Tuck, who had been occasionally slurping water from sketchy sources where we found them, which wasn't often. I knew that once we got to the Shelburne Trail we would find water down that route, but our junction with the Shelburne was still more than a mile away. But near the summit of Shelburne-Moriah I found a tiny but deep rain pocket that might've held about a quart of water. Tuck drank about half of it before the precious water got too thick with mud for his taste. He had been flagging a bit but the rain water revived him.
3829246927_b9f8c3f356.jpg

We finally reached the junction with the Shelburne Trail at just after 4 p.m. It had taken us four and a half hours to cover the five and a half miles from the Moriah Brook/Carter-Moriah trail junction. But even under the best of conditions this stretch is brutal: it begins with the 1,000-foot climb to the Moriah summit, then drops 800 feet down into a col below Middle Moriah (and the first 400 feet of that drop are very steep), then climbs 500 feet to the summit of Shelburne-Moriah, then drops 1,000 very steep feet down to the Shelburne Trail junction. That's a lot of elevation change in a few miles, and on a hot, humid day the heavy, heated moisture sucked the energy right out of both of us.

About a half-mile down the Shelburne Trail we came to a tiny stream and I immediately filled both of my water bottles while Tuckerman drank and drank and drank. The little pool I drew the water from was a bit muddy and mossy, but let me tell you, I've never tasted sweeter water! I was hungry, too, and reached into my pack for an energy bar, but somewhere along the line I must've dropped it. Then I remembered I had a packet of Jell-O in my pack for just this kind of emergency, so mixed the peach flavoring into one of the bottles and immediately drank about half of it. Ahhhhh! Fully revived, Tuck and I made short work of the remainder of the Shelburne Trail, which, after about the 2,300-foot level descends exceptionally gently through a beautiful hardwood forest.

When we finally reached the bottom of the Shelburne and its junction with the Highwater Trail, I decided we would ford the Wild River and road-walk back to the trailhead, which would save us about 0.7 of a mile compared to taking trails the whole way. If the river required a boots-off crossing, so much the better; both Tuck and I could use a swim. The crossing was pretty much rock-hoppable, though (three times I had to step on rocks that were a couple inches below the surface).

We saw a total 13 people on the trail all day: 7 on the Moriah Brook Trail, 4 on the Moriah summit, and 2 on the Kenduskeag Trail. The smart people, it seems, were at home in air-conditioned comfort.

Despite hiking the loop on a nastily humid day -- I'm still feeling a bit whipped this morning, and Tuckerman hasn't left his spot in front of the fan since last night -- I understand why Steve thinks this is such a great hike and in fact I'm anxious to do it again. In the fall this would be a spectacular route indeed.

By the way, on the drive home we got detoured over to country roads on the north side of the Androscoggin River due to a big train derailment on the tracks beside U.S. Highway 2 east of Gorham. Oh, and just for kicks I stepped on the scale back home: yowza, I had sweated off seven pounds!

More photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99682097@N00/sets/72157621938737229/

* Sunday's heat and humidity added about 90 minutes to our time, I estimate, due to a couple extra stops to pump water but mostly to take lots of breathers, which got longer as the day went on.

Steve B
The Feathered Hat
[email protected]

Lots of water crossings and lots of mud on the Moriah Brook Trail. Cool!

No water crossings and hardly any water over Moriah and Shelburne-Moriah. Not cool!

Water again on the Shelburne Trail. Yay!

Moose poop. Sticks. Bugs. Frogs.

*** Three sniffs (out of four). T-Dog says check it out. (But do it on a day that's not as hot as yesterday!)

Last edited:
Then I remembered I had a packet of Jell-O in my pack for just this kind of emergency

Cosby comes to the rescue once again!

Nice job - I've been hoping to do that loop for quite awhile now...perhaps this fall!

Thanks for posting that. The loop has been on my to-do list for this summer but I'm waiting till things cool back down.
-vegematic

Great report and photos. This is pretty tough weather for hiking but at least no rain! Thanks for Tuck's assessment of the trail. Always good to have a dog's point of view.

Thank you for these very kind comments, which I value and appreciate. It is noted that rocket summoned all his strength to resist a Michael Bolton reference. But then, this was a Cosby kind of hike.

Gillian, did Tuckerman and I cross your path on the trail? We reached the Moriah Brook/Carter-Moriah trail junction at about 11:30 a.m. If you got there earlier than that and headed down Moriah Brook, we would have passed each other.

Meanwhile, a few updates...

* Credit where credit's due: In addition to Steve Smith's recommendation in his book, LRiz's recent report on the wonders of Shelburne-Moriah Mountain stoked my interest in this loop. Thanks, Larisa.

* Bugs: The worst were on the ledges and summit of Shelburne-Moriah, oddly enough, and what they were were clouds of gnats. The moment any little breeze stopped, a thousand gnats migrated immediately toward our faces. When we reached the woods again on the backside of the mountain they disappeared, though. Mosquitoes and black flies were present in the woods going up the mountains and coming back down again but weren't terrible.

* This hike was the true maiden voyage for the Superfeet insoles I bought a week ago and had done a couple of light walks in. I'm a believer.

* Tuckerman has done nothing but lounge all day today. Periodically he looks up at me with an expression that says, "Why?"

Last edited:
Great TR and pictures. I have not been that way at all. Perhaps this Fall.

* Tuckerman has done nothing but lounge all day today. Periodically he looks up at me with an expression that says, "Why?"
Zippy was limping a bit early last week after The ADK BBQ. Her pads were in great shape so last Friday I had her hips and knees radiographed. Vet said everything looked WNL. Probably just sore from 33 miles of hiking in two days.

Yesterday morning at 6:00 am she was very ready to go again.

It is noted that rocket summoned all his strength to resist a Michael Bolton reference.

My guess is that, during the extreme heat, you were optimistically singing "Summer Wind" from your Bolton Swings Sinatra album?

That is one fine-looking dog you have there, Feathered Hat Character (R).

(Nice trip report and photographs, as well.)

Nice timely report with some nice photos...the dog with the multicolored coat...

thats our back up loop for tomorrow if the weather looks dicey for madison/adams..after thunderstorm experience last week i am not looking to buck the odds 2 weeks in a row

shelburne moriah is awesome!!

Great TR!

We did this loop in the opposite direction May '08. I enjoyed it much., Judy not so much. We had similar hot, humid buggy conditions with snow in all the cols!

We liked Shelburne Moriah so much we went back later in the year along Rattle River and Kenduskeag Trails.

Anyway you go a must visit summit! Thanks for the reminder! :)

KDT

I, too was out hiking in the heat Sunday, about twelve miles, half of it bushwhacking, bagging three 3ks in the Spotted Mt. range north of Rangeley. I took 3 1/2 liters of water along, and even that wasn't enough. Bugs were relentless. Wore a bug hat most of the time. Not a good hiking day.

I share your enthusiasm for the route you took. I've done Moriah from the west and Shelburne Moriah from the north, but that route up from the Wild River is the best. Fall's the time to do it, though.

As usual, excellent trip report.

Thanks again, everyone.

Tuckerman's coloring is typical of his breed, Plott hound. (He's not a purebred; there's a little lab in him. We got him last winter from a rescue shelter in Vermont.) "Brindle" is the technical word for it, but I prefer "caramel-fudge ripple." Brindle-colored cats are more common than brindle dogs, and on occasion you'll see a brindle-colored horse. There's brindle coloring in some types of wood, too. It seems to be one of Nature's cross-species choices.

Tuck is going to get a bigger head than he already has from all your nice compliments -- but thank you!