Moriah where a bird spruced up my day! 4-18-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
Saturday’s plan was to drive up north in the wee hours of the am and hike Moriah with Dr. Dasypodidae and other friends. I hadn’t informed them because to many things get in the way of plans and I did not want to hold up a good strong hiking group. As usual I was delayed by my own doing and after several close opportunities to become acquainted with state troopers I decided I would just hike my own hike and meet everybody somewhere on the trail.

The trail was nice and firm and the crossings went by easily. Anxious to try to catch up I began to forget to pace myself. Soon I was well ahead of booktime to the ridge and unfortunately much slower across the ledges. I sometimes heard the voices from the summit carrying on the wind and knew I would meet them coming down. At the upper ledges I met the happy group enjoying the day, the accomplishment, and the comradery. Each of them introduced themselves to me as they made their way by and I was invited to catch up to them if I liked. I had planned on eating lunch on the summit and let them know I may so they would not wait too long.

Thom was in good company and the weather was perking up by the minute. I decided to relax on top and get some pictures on the way down after lunch. Coming back to the upper ledge I was awakened from my thoughts by a noise somewhere between a loud purr and maybe a quiet goat. I turned to see a spruce grouse on a nearby branch pecking intensely at bits of ice. When he would make his noise he would shake his tail feathers and get excited. I was so interested in the noise he made I tried to mimic him for a little while. He would reply and jump around on the branch. I changed to video on my camera but felt ridiculous making his noise so I just clucked to get his attention. By this time the sun was coming out and I’m sure he was bidding me a good day.

The sun was striking ledges and I could see the many footprints in the snow that had passed before me. It felt deeply humbling to know we follow in the footprints of veteran hikers past and present that have accomplished so much time on the trails. The total accumulation of so many fine moments is overwhelming. It seems quite possible that each of us may be graced with an interesting conversation with the wildlife in the woods if our path is there long. Feeling a bit foolish and perhaps the grouse had too I sped down Stony Brook and caught up to a great bunch of hikers to toast Thom Davis’ day of accomplishment and Becca’s 500th summit on the grid. It was nice conversing with everyone about the day!;)

My pics:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/571248351froesc

Last edited:
Very cool video of the spruce grouse, DaveBear. I am surprised that the three dogs with the three humans in a group that leap-frogged with us on the way up Moriah did not scare off the bird. Sorry that some of us could not stay for the PBR's and pretzels at the Trailhead, but Weedhopper had to attend a fundraiser in Massachusetts that evening for a friend undergoing cancer treatment.

Dave,

Nice trail report and pics. We couldn't get a good picture of the grouse when we met up with him.

It was nice to finally meet and talk with you. Hope to see you again on the trails.

Bob