Motel in Keene?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevCon223

Reaction score
Brooklyn, New York Avatar: Summit of Marcy
I'm planning a trip there in late August, and was wondering if the old Woodruff Motel ever re-opened. Last summer it appeared to be under renovation, and I still don't see it listed in the Lake Placid area lodging finder. I plan to do UWJ, Armstrong and Gothics (and maybe Sawteeth if time and legs permit), and I'm trying to find something closer than Lake Placid other than B&B's or Hostels.
Kevin

We've had the last few adkhighpeaks winter gatherings at the Ark Trail. They are quite satisfactory and certainly close enough to Keene for most people (within 2-3 miles).

It ain't the Hilton, but I'd recommend them.

Adk lodging

I've mentioned this place before; but hey I luv it so why not.
The Cobble Mountain cabins and motel.
On the road that goes to Whiteface and right across from a golf course so it's pretty quiet out that way. Cabins are updated; rooms are basic. Most if not all have a microwave, small frig and coffee pot. Some of the cabins have sink and counter top cook stove. I think the cabin we usually stay in runs $60 per nite which is not bad at all considering they are fairly nice. Plus I like to support the owner, Gar - he's trying to provide nice reasonably price lodging for hikers, bikers etc that come up to enjoy the Daks.
here's the web site:
http://www.cobblemountainlodge.com/
FYI: this is a one man owned operation so if he's not renting out all the rooms he is often open to working out a deal vs leaving the place empty. They are already very reasonable so I wouldn't suggest this unless you want to stay for a couple days and maybe it's a little more then you want to spend. My theory is it never hurts to ask.

The Ark Trail Inn looks like a nice place. Saves Me about 10 miles each way from Placid. It looks like they also have a restaurant, how is the food, do they serve breakfast, and is it early enough for an early start?

Kevin

KevCon223 said:
The Ark Trail Inn looks like a nice place. Saves Me about 10 miles each way from Placid. It looks like they also have a restaurant, how is the food, do they serve breakfast, and is it early enough for an early start?

Kevin

they have a kitchen that they graciously let us use each year on the winter weekend and I have heard that they are quite accomodating for early starts as far as breakfast goes. I've never stayed there outside the winter weekends but it looks to be a very nice hiker-friendly place.

Jay

Thanks for the info. All the suggestions look good. I will have to see whats available. I'm still not sure what week I'll be there, possibly Aug. 10th or 17th. I will be solo, if anyone wants to hook up for a hike, I could always use the company.

Kevin

Dartbrook Lodge

The former Woodruff is now reopened, after extensive and expensive renovation, as the Dartbrook Lodge. You might find it under that name. Prices will most certainly exceed the Ark. Breakfast/lunch is available at Cedar Run Bakery next door. Dinner is available at Tip A Canoe which is a couple of doors away. All in beautiful downtown Keene.

Motel in Upper Jay

I know the folks who run the Ark, and you won't go wrong there. If you prefer a suite with kitchen and dining area, try the Brookside in Upper Jay, a few miles down the road from the Ark. The prices are reasonable, and the proprietor, Marlene, is very accommodating. I use the place for hikes with an early starting time, so I can be on the trail when the Noonmark is just opening.

I'll go with the Ark, it sounds very hiker friendly. I forget about the Noonmark for breakfast, I think they open at 6:00. I'm used to staying in Lake Placid so the Wife can entertain herself for the days I'm gone, it has plenty of restaurants and shopping.

Kevin