Mount Abraham via Firewarden's Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alavigne

Reaction score
Hi, All

Did my 114th out of 115 on the NE 111 on Abraham via the Firewarden's trail back in July (16th). Of note are the fact that the Firewarden's cabin has been burnt to the ground and mostly cleared away, a new backcountry campsite now exists, and several sections of trail re-route (including a trail re-route around the firewarden's cabin clearing).

Not sure if the trail access conditions are still the same given the recent passing of Irene.

My trip report with lots of pictures, maps, etc, is available here:

alavigne.net/Outdoors/ImageGallery/2011/07-16-Abraham/

Last edited:
Nice Report, For what its worth, recent reports are that the road is washed out after the last house on the road and the bridges are also gone making it a longer hike. Maine Huts and Trails is planning on building another hut in this area so it will be interesting to see what changes appear.

Nice Report, For what its worth, recent reports are that the road is washed out after the last house on the road and the bridges are also gone making it a longer hike. Maine Huts and Trails is planning on building another hut in this area so it will be interesting to see what changes appear.

Thanks for pointing that out (about the bridge crossings). I'll have to post an update to the report. It's not all that far from the first bridge crossing across Rapid Stream to the trailhead (definitely less than a mile), so the route is really not all that much longer.

Nice report, someday I'll make it back here. Nice job with the site, too. I like how the pictures pop up.

The approach from the AT via the side trail is a bit tedious over the loose talus, as I remember. Sounds like the old FW trail is easier on the feet.

post Irene rd. update 9-21-11

1st bridge..
DSC07218.jpg
[/IMG]
2nd bridge..
DSC07222.jpg
[/IMG]

other travel issue, the rd. itself is in rough shape from the get go.. I was bottoming out in my suby forrester quickly. I had my mt.bike so I opted for that.. @ the 2nd bridge, I locked up my bike and barefooted thru the chilly river..(rock gaps are widely spaced more than I could clear and I'm 6'2") so yeah, firewardens trail is a bit trickier to get to..

Back to the good old days. When I first climbed it with my brother in high school, the bridges were out and the road getting to the bridge was very grown in. There is heavy snowmachine use in the area, so I expect at some point, there might be some snowmachine bridge built.