Mount Kilimanjaro

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
I wanted to see if anyone in this forum had ever climbed Mt Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. My wife and I are going there in Mid-August. We've both hiked fourteeners in Colorado.

-Who did you use for a guide service? We've looked at Destination Africa and Zara tours so far.

-Do you have any wisdom or tips you can pass down?

-Was the altitude a problem for you?

-Did you follow the hike with a safari?

Thanks..................:)

Haven't climbed the mountain (the person I went with was too soon post-surgery), but I highly recommend adding a safari on to the climb. You can do a more jungle-style safari in Arusha Nat'l Park or a more Plains-style one in the Serengeti or Tarangire, or (my favorite) Ngorongoro crater, which has an incredible concentration of wildlife: lions, hippos, elephants, hyenas, Cape buffalo, zebras, wildebeest, various gazelles, flamingos, etc.

Unless you plan to return to East Africa frequently, don't miss a safari. It's safi sana (kiSwahili for "way cool").

Kilimanjaro

Thanks!
I think Destination Africa offers a two day add on to Ngorogoro crater. You definitely make me want to spend a little extra and do it. My wife was at the Massai Mara two years ago and loved every minute of it. We're taking a Kenyan with us whose lifelong dream has been to climb to the roof of Africa

I haven't done Kilamanjaro, but i did do Mt. Meru, about 90km away. It came down to a choice of Kili or Meru and we chose Meru because it was cheaper, the mountain less travelled, and a bit more rugged according to our guide book. I would love to go back and tackle Kilimanjaro. Meru offered some impressive views, a great night hike, and was just flat amazing. I can only imagine what the views from Kili are!

Do try and fit a safari in there. I was doing biology research and spend some nights on the Masai Mara and Hell's Gate in Kenya. Aside from topping out on the peak, the safaris were the best part of the trip.

Please do report when you get back. I'd love to hear about your trip! Sorry I couldn't offer any advice as to tour guides - I just get excited when anyone talks about that part of the world because it is so amazing!!!!

I haven't climbed it yet but do plan to go sometime in the future. A friend of mine climbed Kili a few years ago and he LOVED every minute, he also did the safari. He used Thompson Safaris and said they were first rate. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

sli74

Jim

I had a trip planned for this October, but it has been bumped to next February.

After some exhaustive research and a few bad initial experiences with American Travel/Guide Services.... I decided to find a local Tanzanian operation. It is generally cheaper because you are cutting out the middle man, and it keeps more of the money where it belongs... in the Tanzanian Communities.

I settled on the Marangu Hotel for my stay and my guide services: http://www.maranguhotel.com/

After reading about and talking to several other people who have used the Hotel's service, I have no doubts about it. And my correspondances with the Director have been very pleasant and informative.

I will be following the hike with a Safari, but will be arranging it out there.

In addition, if you have not grabbed them yet, I Highly recommend the following books:

- Lonely Planet Tanzania (and/or Lonely Planet East Africa)

- Lonely Planet Trekking in East Africa

- and Kilimanjaro: A Trekking Guide to Africa's Highest Mountain

The last book, as its title implies, is the most useful I have found for the actual climb.

A few other website you may find helpful:

Gard Karlsen's Travel Site - and his experience on Kili

Lonely Planets forums on Africa

IMAX film - if you havent already had the chance to see it

Hope that helps somewhat, sorry I cant offer you any actual climb advice and tips, but you will certainly find some good stuff in the resources I posted above. And since you will be climbing before me you'll have to touch back and let me know how it goes. Personally I am most worried about how I will react to the altitude but I just cant wait. I'm getting excited again just typing this!

Kilimanjaro

Thanks so much for all the information everybody!

-I think we'll also go with a local Tanzanian outfitter because we're staying in Kenya for an additional 3 weeks.

-I'll go to the library to check out those books.

-We're hoping to do the Machame route in 6 or 7 days. From what I read the Wilderness experience you get on Machame (Western Breach) is worth the little extra it costs. Thanks again:)

Hi Jim,
I climbed Kilimanjaro and Meru in December 2002. We climb Kili via the Lemosho route which goes thru the Shira Plateau. It is very seldom used and we crossed nobody else until summit day. It takes 6 days to summit that way which gives you plenty of time to acclimatize. Altitude was not issue for myself or my girlfriend. We had a minor headaches. That's all.
We carried Diamox but did not use it.
You must avoid the Coca-cola route at all cost. All in all, it was much easier than doing the Sewards...

We followed our climbs with safaris in the Ngorongoro crater, 4 days in the Serengeti and 2 days in volcano alley north of the Ngorongoro.

Our outfitter was a small company based out of Moshi called Big Expeditions. Service was outstanding and we never ran out of food or bottled water. They'll go out of their way to get you cold beer ("pombe baridi" in swahili) .:p

Gotrek.com also goes to Kili. Have not climbed Kili myself, but climbed Rainier with Tim O'Brien who works for Gotrek and RMI, and can't say enough good things about him. I have a friend who used Gotrek for the mexican volcanoes this winter and was very happy with them.

Kili

-Thanks Thumper, I enjoyed reading that link, gave me a couple more items to write down on my "must bring" list to Kili

-Jean, I e-mailed Big Expeditions as their website seemed to be under construction. We'll probably want to book somebody in either April or May, thank you.

-Jonatha, thanks for the info also, I will definitely check them out

Lots of long hikes in the Whites and Maine ahead to train, oh somehow I will muddle through! :D

a book to read

Before going, you might enjoy reading "The Breach" by Rob Taylor. He's a climber from Sudbury, Mass., who had a near-death experience on Kilimanjaro. It's a very unusual story--with elements of "Touching the Void."

Pat T

Before going, you might enjoy reading "The Breach" by Rob Taylor.

Thanks for the heads up on this Pat. I had not heard of the book..... and it was hard to track down, but I ordered a used copy from Powells

I settled on the Marangu Hotel for my stay and my guide services: http://www.maranguh

Holdstrong- are you going to climb via the Machame route? The link you included is to a hotel very near to the Marangu route (coca cola route.) We were told the Machame route offered a much more scenic hike along the western breach. This hotel seemed like it was quite a distance from Machame gate. Also their prices didn't seem to be all inclusive. They mentioned park fees but didn't go into much detail like Destination Africa (based at the Springlands hotel in Tanzania did.) :)

Thanks Jean, the Lemosho route sounds great, I e-mailed them.:)

I am still deciding between the Machame route and the Western Breach crater camp routes as seen in Brashear's IMAX film.

Whatever you do, AVOID the Marangu route is the word I hear.

My final decision will come down to money and whether or not I talk someone into joining me.

I am not sure about the prices on their website, but I assume they are ball park figures, as price would change depending on number of people in the party and other factors.

Gard Karlsen, whose kili homepage link I included above (and who was also the author of the trip report linked to in Thumper's link), stayed at the hotel and did the Machame Route. His site has some comprehensive detail about the costs he had, and service provided with that cost.

I contacted the director of the hotel via email and recieved a very detailed response with all inclusive pricing, advice, and lots and lots of information.

Here is an excerpt from his email, its for the Maranagu route which I will not be doing, but gives you an idea:

Assuming for a moment that you will be solo I will quote you for 5 & 6 day Marangu climbs and a Shira/Lemosho 8 day WB/Crater camp climb.

Marangu 5 days:
National Park fees: $375
Our fully equipped climb package: $370
Total: $745

Marangu 6 days:
National Park fees: $455
Our fully equipped climb package: $440
Total: $895

You would have a crew of 4, a guide and three porters and I would advise you to budget around $80 for tips for crew. Everything else is covered in the fully equipped price.

Hotel accommodation is $30 per night where it is in conjunction with a fully equipped climb and this includes dinner and breakfast.

He also quted me out several other routes, gave info about passports and visas, and recommended several groups for possible safaris. Definitily send him an email or give him a call -

Desmond (Brice-Bennett), Director

Marangu Hotel Kilimanjaro
P.O.Box 40, Moshi, Tanzania
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +255 27 2756594/2756361

A question about airfare . . .

I was thinking about paying the EXTRA money to have a trip where roundtrip airfare from Boston was included because a brief look online at plane costs yielded an insane price. How are you guys getting there and what kind of plane cost are you looking at? I would be interested in looking to go through a local guide IF I could find affordable airfare. Thanks,

sli74

I am lucky enough to have a job where I rack up American Express Reward Points that can be used toward airfares. My plan is to use these points for my flight.

But I did do a quick search on Expedia just now, checking flight packages for 1 adult to Nairobi in the months i will be going and found packages in the 1200 to 1600 range. 1600 to 2200 for a flight into Kilimanjaro.

That isn't half bad. If you combine that with a local Tanzanian guide service you are looking at 2600 to 3000 for the air and land costs.

Figure an American Tour Service or other national Tour Service such as AlpineAscents, Mountain Madness, REI, or Thompson Safaris will generally run you between 2500 and 3500 just for "land costs". They may be able to discount your airfare in a package deal, but it will still be significantly more expensive overall. The 4 I just looked at average about 4500 for land and air costs.

Regardless of who you use however, I implore anyone who uses a guide service to inquire into the treatment and payment of the porters. If you will be using a bigger American tour service, make sure they acknowledge and support The Porter Assistance Project. Link

Most of them do, but double check.

Last edited:
I climbed Kili via the Machame Route in August 1999 with a friend and his teenage son. We hiked down the Coca Cola Route, thus traversing the mountain. Guides and usually porters are required, as are park fees; the $ amounts noted in other postings sound about right. We hired a guide, Stephen Mtuy, through African Adventures out of Arusha; at the time they had an office in Atlanta. Do not hire a guide off the street or through a cheap motel, as you will likely be unhappy with the outcome.

Try airline flight consolidators to save on the airfare, which was less than half regular coach airfare for us in 1999. Typically, flights to Africa involve double-overnighters (overnight to London, hang out all day, then overnight to Nairobi), which are pretty grueling.

I had a splitting altitude headache by the time I reached the summit, which did not go away until I was down below 15,000 ft. My two climbing partners had been taking Diamox for a week and they fared better. However, if you plan to use Diamox, you must begin about a week before you reach altitude. I will probably use Diamox on Denali this June. The guides push their clients to reach and leave the summit before sunrise (i.e., your summit day involves hiking in the dark), but we insisted that we not leave the summit until after sunrise so that we could get photos. The guides' agenda is to get you as far down in altitude as possible the same day that you summit to reduce the risk of HAPE and/or HACE. I cannot blame them, as time is money for the guides during the short summer and winter climbing seasons, and they do not want to spend that time on rescues.

I agree with all of the postings about not missing a wildlife safari. We also hired our guide to take us to a Masai village after we returned from Kili, which was really off the beaten track.

Best wishes to all of you heading to Africa. My six weeks on the continent were as memorable as anything that I have done in my entire life.

Kili

I agree with Holdstrong on this, we'll purchase airfare seperate from the land costs associated with guide and park fees. We're also planning on spending an additional 3 weeks in Nairobi around the Kangundo region so an all inclusive package didn't work for us. Mutuku Ndambuki who was born in the region and has always dreamed of climbing Kilimanjaro will be going along with us. Thanks again everybody for all the great information!