Mount Rainier 7/31-8/3 Rope Team #3

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seema,

You'll get there, many people have had not got beyond Camp Muir, If Sherpa K thinks he has a few years left in him, you've got decades to go!

Seema: It sounds me as though your trip was, in fact, a success on many levels. You learned a lot, you made some very difficult but correct decisions, and you had an experience that many people on this BBS -- as well as scores others around the world with nary a thought about the outdoors -- will never have. To me, that's what life is about: the experience.

I echo others here who know that you will one day return to Rainier, and fulfill this dream of reaching the summit.

Seema,
Thanks you for directing me to this thread. I read it before I went for my nightly walk (can you beleive I just did 2 miles non-stop - I'm coming back fast - Next week I try for 3)

Anyways I thought about you and your decision on my walk (Kept me from thinking about all the deerflies landing on my head) and I realized that you, Seema, touch more nature in a weekend than most do in a year. You harbor more adventure in a year than most do in a lifetime. If the worst thing that could happen to you this year is that you did not make the summit because of a selfless act that allowed others to move quicker to make the summit, Then all in all, it is a pretty damn good year (not to mention all the Karma you built up) :)
I do plan to use your kind act as an example of selflessness when my little one gets old enough to understand. And, I am hoping that once I heal and start hiking again, I have an opportunity to hike with you - I think you are awesome!!!

great trip report, Guinness! Wow, awesome pics, too.

and sli74, you've done far more than most dream about, i only have admiration for you and your decision you ended up making. :)

Wow!!

I can't say it any better than all who have responded before me have. I am in awe of all who have made this physical and mental journey and can't imagine how any of you can see this journey into self discovery as anything other than a success. You have all taken on a great challenges both physical and mental and have all come out better people for it. There are times in life where the journey is more important than the destination, and as long as you emerge from your trip with a better understanding of yourself and a burning desire to push past the person you discovered, you have succeeded beyond 95% of the rest of the people in this world. You are ALL inspirations for the rest of us to push past our limitations and to challenge our soles to achieve a greater state of being.

Cool pictures too :p

sli74 said:
I was at an emotional lowpoint of my life.
sli74

Let me clarify this for the person who was upset by this statement and left an insulting reputation point and considers me "self absorbed" . . . Please notice the word "AN" in front of the word emotional. A person can have more than one emotional low point in their life, just so you know. I HAVE lost people in my life and been in much worse pain . . . I did not say it was the worst day of my life, I said it was AN emotional low point in my life, you are a pretty judgemental person, I am sorry for you.

sli74

NV

Great reports from everyone! Congratulations to all of you!
(as you can see I'm green with envy)

Seema I was hoping you would report on your decision to to proceede. This was a very difficult decision to make. It was probably more difficult to make the decision than to make the summit, but if you had any doubts you made the right decision. The decision allows you to try again next year. It was also very brave of you to post your report. This trip will be a memory of a life time. It will make the victory that much sweeter when you make it. I'm sure you will!

Seema: I’m sorry that there is one (or more) person that seems to take pleasure in using the rep system to insult others. As I posted recently I received a nasty comment for something I haven’t even done (see: post #15 ) and have heard from others that they are receiving the same. I have also seen Tim Seaver’s recent comment and Cath’s (which I assume she was asked to delete or it was deleted). I’m sure there are many more. I see no purpose in this but really see no purpose in the whole ‘square’ thing as it mostly seems like a popularity contest than any real value.

But to stay on topic. I had a terrible headache yesterday which I can only attribute to altitude sickness from viewing all these photos. ;)

Last edited:
sli74 said:
Let me clarify this for the person who was upset by this statement and left an insulting reputation point and considers me "self absorbed" . . . Please notice the word "AN" in front of the word emotional. A person can have more than one emotional low point in their life, just so you know. I HAVE lost people in my life and been in much worse pain . . . I did not say it was the worst day of my life, I said it was AN emotional low point in my life, you are a pretty judgemental person, I am sorry for you.

sli74

Please don't let these folks get to you. You can see where most of us stand. Seems to me it would have been more "self absorbed" to continue on. Keep your head up and be proud of what you have done.