Mount Washington via Ammonoosuc Ravine and Crawford Path (9 May 2015)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Summits: Mount Washington.

Trails: Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail (full length), Monroe Loop in parts, Crawford Path, return same way. This was primarily a scouting hike to check on spring maintenance needs for Ammo Ravine.

Conditions: First mile from the USFS lower lot to the junction with the side trail has no snow or ice. It is wet, but surprisingly not that bad as compared to other years in this section. There are about 5 large blowdowns needing removal in this section. The crossing of Franklin Brook is difficult. Rocks are covered, so it's get wet or head upstream to a nice log across the Brook for an easy shimmy.

The second mile from the junction to Gem Pool is a rough stretch. One blowdown of note. The first half is a mix of alternating rotten snow and ice, mud and running water, and bare rock. The second half is rotten monorail. The crossing of the foot bridge with hand rail is challenging. Most have been going to the uphill side of the bridge to cross on a snow bridge. This bridge is breaking up and opens to a big wet drop below. Stay on the wood now. The water crossing in this section is hard. Rocks covered. I took boots off for this one after throwing my gear across. The crossing at Gem Pool has no exposed rocks. You can rock hop it but you're in a few inches of fast water to do it. Postholes are going deep. I used snowshoes in the second half of this mile to Gem Pool.

The third mile is almost all snow. The bridges are breaking up and sections of snow and ice covering rushing water are breaking away. Take care to avoid walking on top of the Brook where possible. One large section broke off from the mass while I was on it and there was noticeable differences on the descent. Change is fast now. The crossing below the falls is hard. On the ascent, not bad with a few inches water over any rock. But on the descent, this was raging as well.

The Monroe Loop is in an interesting place now. I ascended to a spot where rotten snow covered slick ice on a steep stretch. Being solo, that was too risky. I descended and tried a few approaches up the snow fields from the west but in each case I either encountered spots I did not want to cross due to underlying ice and rotten snow, or In most cases, I would have needed to trample vegetation to get to a good spot to climb. So, ultimately, I headed back to the hut and went up Washington instead.

Crawford Path to Washington was easy enough. A couple easy snowfields to cross but mostly dry rock or running water in the trail.

I barebooted, barefooted, wore microspikes, crossed fallen trees, put snowshoes on and off at least 6 times, and just walked through rushing water with boots and gaiters on the way out. Be prepared. Gaiters, snowshoes, light traction are pretty necessary. Poles would help on crossings; I grabbed branches for them. Sunscreen would have been smart yesterday. Got some color.

Comments: This is the most challenging I have seen the water crossings on Ammonoosuc Ravine in 5 years of spring maintenance. The water was absolutely raging on the decent with waterfalls overwhelmed by the rush. White water spray was gorgeous over the decaying monolithic ice structures left under the falls. I could watch the landscape change as the force of the water broke up the snow and ice. To be clear, this is a VERY challenging hike right now. I passed a guy heading out without snowshoes. He had made it about a half mile below Gem Pool before not being able to make progress and opted to call it a day. I passed four younger people almost to the hut who did not expect what they were encountering and asked about getting rides down from the summit or alternate trails out. After giving them their options, they realized they were most likely coming back down Ammo and it was going to be a slow and possibly treacherous hike out. They had no traction and were still apparently planning to head up W. The hike out was getting harder by the minute with the melt water. Pretty much another great day in the mountains! Headed back today to take out those blowdowns in the first mile.