Mountain Hardwear believer?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
OK, so it's only been recently that I have ventured into the Mountain Hardwear realm. I have generally been pleased with other brands and have not been willing to pay a premium for the MH gear - until now. Recently I purchased a few items (mostly apparel) and this stuff is amazingly thought out with tons of attention to detail. Thankfully I got most of this stuff on sale. Has anyone else out there had a good / bad experience with this brand? I will add that I have not used their tents or sleeping bags but they do look like they are well made. I have had a few other "major brands" fail me recently but MH seems to be firing on all cylinders.

Oh yeah - standard disclaimer: I do not work for or own any portion of this company.

I just picked up a pair of Mountain Hardwear soft shell pants and a windstopper hat. Both are solid and well-designed. Too soon to tell on durability, but functionality is exactly what I was looking for.

As a side note, a companion on a backcountry ski trip was telling us that Mountain Hardwear has developed a following in urban settings. He was telliing us about a friend of his who works at an outdoor retailer in the D.C. area, getting calls to see if they sold Mountain Hardwear gear: "Yo!, you got the Nut?"

I have made a number of Mt. Hardware purchases - clothing and gear. My favorite clothing purchase has been my gore-tex jacket. I've owned it for 3 (?) years now and I love it. You are right, they pay a lot of attention to details. Other items include their "Canyon Shirt" with lots of mesh and pockets, etc. I also have a hiking skirt/kilt that they make.

I have made two gear purchases - both of which I am very happy with. I have their Hammerhead 3 tent, which is practically bomb-proof - kept me totally dry during the deluge that occured during the Catskill's Gathering. I also have a Phantom sleeping bag - rated at 32 degrees, I have used it down to almost 20 degrees and have been plenty warm. But the best thing about it is that it only weighs in at 1 pound 5 ounces!!!

I agree that their stuff is a bit pricey, but so far I am very happy with all of my MH purchases. Durability seems excellent, too.

MH sleeping bag

I have a polarguard HV 20 degree sleeping bag. I love it! I've used it in the winter - including (in a acabin) at zero.

Obviously, we all want to buy MH gear when on sale.

I have the Alchemy jacket. It is by far one of the most versatile jackets I have and I use it quite a bit. It breathes much better than my hardshell and protects from wind/water better than fleeces. I bought mine last year for list at around $240 but I have seen them on sale recently in the $150 range. The only drawback is the lack of pitzips (which others in their line have).

I also have a synthetic MH belay parka that a friend in Japan gave me once before a long motocycle ride home in the winter when I was underdressed and told me to keep it since it was too big for him and he never wears it. I don't know the model or when it was from, but it is well constructed and well thought out and it very durable. Good stuff.

My one miss with MH was a pair of "Ascent" pants I ordered on sale from Mountain Gear. I thought they were a big bulky in the waist (double velcro closures) and cut a bit too short for me. They seemd bullet proof, but I sent em back.

I was told that the MHW designers were the original The North Face designers if true it's not surprising that there's an urban take off on their clothes. The first TNF mountain Light jacket I ever saw in the city was on a certain, er, lady who wore little else but the mountain light while walking the street.

Anyway, I have the chugach jacket and pant (I didn't think either of these were that premium priced) and recently picked up the phantom sweater on sale. Both are great pieces. I always thought their stuff, especially tents and bags were a bit overbuilt and heavy but the past few years they've been making tons more stuff in a wider range of weights and bulletfproofness; that criticism isn't really valid anymore.

Mh

I own several items manufacture by MH. The quality of the product is like that of North Face when North Face produced quality products. My first system was North Face. I still own my three ply Gore Tex Mountain Guide Jacket. My fear is that with the popularity, I mean "street people" wearing these cloths just for the sake of wearing the "in" brand that the quality will go down like that of North Face. I remember several years back people walking around NYC in full Gore-Tex NF gear. I knew then that the end was near. Isn't MH now owned by Columbia?

TonyL said:
Isn't MH now owned by Columbia?
Tony - according to this article, you are correct I had no idea! I now understand and share your angst for their future.

NH_MTN_HIKER said:
I recently saw a National Geographic program about a search & rescue on Everest. At least one of the search team members was wearing a MH Conduit SL parka, just like mine. If it's good enough for Everest...it should be good enough for the White Mountains. I bought mine for those unplanned nights out in the mountains ...fortunately, I haven't got to put it to the test yet.
Not to burst your bubble but MH makes an Absolute Zero parka that looks a lot like the Subzero Parka - problem is it retails at $600. If I was on Everest, I think I would be more apt to bring this along rather than the Subzero!

Last edited:
I agree with Tony L. MH is putting out good stuff right now, reminescent of old TNF A5 gear. I have the Alchemy jacket and it is awesome.

WARNING...extreme sarcasm-->

(except the the following statement is true) TNF is owned by a conglomerate that also owns wrangler jeans and other target-style companies, in case you were wondering why they are inventing things like the MET5 jacket for people like my mom (she drives a suburban and i played travel soccer for 10 years). :p

edit: this is where I originally found some of my information. really interesting thread if you have about 10 minutes to read.

also, if you are willing to look around a bit, you will find out some suprising things. the trend for outdoors companies seems to be build your brand up by being cutting edge, and then sell to a conglomerate in order to turn some better profits (legitimate really). Unfortunately, you get furry trimmed jackets from tnf, shag carpet jackets, etc etc. even arc'teryx, which in my opinion was absolutely cutting edge recently and currently, has apparently sold to adidas. c'est dommage.

RockClimbing.com thread on TNF heading downhill

Last edited:
everest

Just a thought, just because soemone on Everest is wearing something doesnt mean anything except that said company is proboly sponsuring their trip.That being said, the gear still may be top notch. I still swear by Patagonia myself, old school, last forever and Chouinard contributes a share of the profits to many great causes, outdoor related.

I just purchased a Mountain Hardware down vest after keeping my eye out for what appeared to be good quality (goose down fill, workmanship, useful features) at a reasonable price. Even on sale it wasn't cheap. I like the little bag that comes with it, too ... may come in handy at childrens' parties when you show how to get that vest into that bag!

I miss Moonstone ... the original company that was based in Montana and produced most of it's products there. Their stuff must have been designed by someone who actually used the gear and the quality was second to none. They were competitively priced with all the big names. Unfortunately, they were bought up and most of what they sell under that name now is made in China.

My absolutely favorite hiking pants are my MH Transition tights. They have a soft fleecy lining on the inside, and windstopper fabric on the outside, looking slightly metallic...they are super comfy and warm! I also have a MH shell, and a MH down jacket that I LOVE :) They are pricy items, but for a reason!!

Mtn Hardwear clothing seems to still have the quality craftsmanship that it had years ago as an emerging apparel company.

I've had a windbloc vest that fits me better than any other I've ever worn. The pockets are perfectly located as well.

I had a Synchro softshell for about 1.5 years before it was lifted (from a bar). It's a little more waterproof, a little less breathable than the Alchemy. Also did not have pit zips.

I wear some hardshell pants, definitely not super bomber tho. Conduit fabric not sure what the line is. I bought them at LLBean last summer. I also have a windbloc hat, that works great but doesn't fit my head as well as I'd like it too.

All in all, I have some experience with their technical clothing. I'd still buy some of their stuff in the future, but I'm certainly not loyal to them. I tend to mix and match. Based on fit and of course price. Performance/durability is often in how you take care of your gear. I don't think there is a HUGE drop off between brands/price points.

believer -- but not a worshiper

Agreed -- once TNF got popular and all those regular folks started wearing TNF sleeping bags just to run out for a loaf of bread or to go to the movies, well, I knew it was over. ;)

Lately I've gotten lots of good fleece at rock-bottom prices from the sale table at the GAP. My favorite layering piece is an old poly-quilted vest from Work-n-Gear. I haven't told any of that gear that it isn't the absolute-highest-performing stuff around, so it doesn't know it shouldn't be working so well -- so I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't tell it either.

And, lately, I haven't:

1) frozen to death (or really even gotten cold)
2) carried an overnight winter pack that weighed more than 20 lbs.
3) raided my daughter's college fund or missed a mortgage payment

For most everything else, EMS makes some dang good stuff.

PS:
I believe MH is really good stuff, too.

I always used to wonder how much less Patagonia would have cost if they didn't print that color catalog that looked more like a luxury cruise brochure.

Last edited:
I do agree that Mountain Hardwear has very high quality clothing (Monkey Man fleece rocks my world) and equipment, but I must say that my favs are Patagonia and Wild Things. Granted prices for Patagonia re on the steep side, I have found that it os worth it

In the past couple of years,I have been buying MH as a first choice for new gear. I like the quality,and durability.
Only problem I have had is with a pair of polypro glove liners,and I will be putting their lifetime warranty to the test.
Some of their gear is pricey,but it performs well,and I use it often,so it's cost effective in the end.
We can only hope that Columbia will let them continue business as ususal.

steep

Patagonia is pricey but thats becase its worth it. I have some Patagonia clothing that is well over 10 yrs old and I know it will outlast afkabobs Gap fleece that he just bought. :eek:

I'm too cheap to buy much MHW or TNF gear, but the few pieces of each that I have are the best. The attention to detail and the extras are great.

For example on my MHW Recon parka the cinch on the hood can be operated with heavy mitts on, and fits snug around the face without deforming the hood, and the inside of the chin flap is soft fleece.

And my TNF Roadrunner II tent has color coded poles and sleeves and buckles so the tent and fly go together in a flash. And it has cool glow in the dark zipper pulls.

But these folks aren't going to make any money because the gear is tough and doesn't wear out. With good care I think most of it will last the rest of my hiking days. I have a pair of TNF hiking pants now 8yrs old and still wearing great.

The most recent purchase is a MHW windstopper balaclava - which was field tested in -5F and 60mph wind to great satisfaction.

~Martin

I just cut out the Gap labels so I can show my face in the hiking community.

sierra said:
Patagonia is pricey but thats becase its worth it. I have some Patagonia clothing that is well over 10 yrs old and I know it will outlast afkabobs Gap fleece that he just bought. :eek:
Maybe -- but you probably use it harder and more (well, harder, at least -- I wear this stuff around town as well as in the woods all winter long) -- but for me, the $6 Gap fleece going on at least 6 years with no signs of wear (should last double or triple that long easily) makes almost infinitely more sense for me than a cheap-at-$50+ peice of Patagucci -- even if it never wore out.

With the money I save, I can go visit the folks at Christmas ;)

I'm pretty old fashioned on the fleece -- no wind-stopper stuff for me by choice -- the one pullover I had (have, but don't use) was a tad sweaty for my comfort. I want the fleece to be as breathable as possible and when I want to stop the wind, I put a shell over it.

I have some old North-by-Northwest fleece pants I got really cheap at Hilton's Tent City about 15 years ago. They show no signs of wearing out anytime soon. As far as being outlasted by one brand or another, the only thing that's going to be outlasted, it seems, is me -- even if I live to a ripe old age, I think most of these garments will still be around.

PS:
The natty yellow hooded fleece in my avater is a no-name tailor Polartec 200 that cost $12 at Marshals eight or nine years ago. A bit pricey for me, but, hey, you gotta splurge sometimes. That's the Gap fleece underneath it. My wife said I can't buy anymore yellow or orange clothing.

Last edited: