Moxie Bald Maine approach

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat32

Reaction score
Has anyone driven to the AT to access Moxie Bald via Blanchard, ME and Monson. I see a route that will get you there on the DeLorme but not sure what shape these roads are in and don't want to excessively beat my car (Impreza with fairly low clearance). I know you can access closer to Bingham, ME but I would prefer to go via Blanchard if roads are decent. Moxie Bald is a nice little Mtn. with great views. Outstanding blueberries too.

I haven't been in that east approach, but via a shorter approach from a logging road just south of Moxie pond. Using this approach, you can get to the summit via the AT and the bypass trail in around 1.7 miles. Depending on what side of Maine you are coming in from, this may be shorter. I can post that approach if interested.

Bill

Bill, I wouldn't mind hearing that approach, I hear the Bald Mountain Pond area is quiet and fairly pretty.

This approach uses a logging road just off of the Troutdale road in Bald Mountain Township. Locate the AT crossing on the Troutdale road. The AT comes in on the west side of the road but leaves the east side of the road about .1 mile to the south. From the east side of the Troutdale road, Moxie Bald could be reached via the AT in 4.8 miles but also requires a ford of Baker Brook if you choose this option.

If you continue on the Troutdale road 1.8 miles south of the AT crossing (east side), you will find a well travelled logging road on the left. This is referred locally as the AT road. Turn left here and proceed around .8 mi and fork left. At 1.7 mi, bear right and continue to around 3.9 where the AT crosses. There are a few spaces for parking just before the trail crossing. The crossing is marked by signage, you just have to look for it. From this junction, the summit is about 1.7 mi if you take the summit bypass trail.

I was last in there in late May 2011, and a grader had just gone down the road the same day. The road was seeing traffic and was in good shape then. A car could easily make the trip, though it is unknown what it's current condition is.

PM me if you would like more detail.

Bill