MSR snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skennenden

Reaction score
A binding broke on my Tubbs last year and I bought a new pair of MSRs, while waiting for my Tubbs to be returned. I like them, but I have a real problem getting them to stay on. The straps are constantly coming loose and I walk out of them. My husband doesn't seem to have the problem when he tries them out. Is it just me? What am I doing wrong? Any helpful suggestions? It's a real pain when your hands are cold getting them back on.

Yes, it's mostly the back strap that causes the snowshoe to come off. Sometimes the front strap comes loose, but usually only one out of three. Thanks, I'll try it.

If the back strap is slipping off, Buy a length of 1/2 or 1/4 nylon strap and after you put your snowshoe on, Run the strap from the front of your ankle, just above the instep, through backstrap on one side, double back around the front of your ankle and run it around the other side of the backstrap, and then pull the whole setup forward and buckle it up where you can pull both sides tight over the top of your instep and cause that backstrap not to drop down.(It is much easier to picture it than I can explain).

If you look at strap # 36 in this picture of a Teva Sandal, you will have an idea of what I mean. this was a common fix for a few years for Sherpa Snowshoes with plastic boots. you could get fancy with a small trilock buckle or just a simple camlock strap, or even velcro straps.

Last edited:
I use a piece of 1" tubular webbing, about 8" in length for each snowshoe.

Run the snowshoe heel strap through the webbing, and also thread an instep strap through the webbing, and over the top of the foot/ankle. The general idea is to hold the ankle strap in place even if it loosens through use.

I use a 3/8" nylon strap with an adjustable Fastex buckle for the instep strap.

Dave

I'll check with my rivet supplier to make sure the official name for the thingy is a rivet. It has two big ends that screw together in the middle -- so I slip it through holes on each side of the straps.

I know someone else who uses those chunky plastic ties the same way. Before I had the rivet, I was using regular bread bag twist ties... can't say if they would have held up though.

- Ivy

Last edited:
The fact that your husband reports no such problem suggests that you're not pulling hard enough to create tension before hooking the strap hole. To secure the strap properly, you have to stretch it far enough to reach a hole that will maintain tension on the strap when you let go of it.

Okay, the official name for the thingy is a 3/16" x 1/4" binding post, which fits perfectly in the strap holes and is just the right length to hold the straps closed.

Here is a three-picture series (courtesy of HikerBob who came up with this fix) to show how it works
Click here for pictures

- Ivy

Last edited:
You can get them at most any smaller hardware store, they're called a "post and screw", and are located in the section where all the other screws are. They're aluminum, come in different lengths, and should be about $0.30 each. I keep some of these handy in case something breaks.

I have never had a problem with mine, but perhaps it is because:

I always undo the rear straps and redo them the next time I put them on. This means I tighten the rear strap to its optimum tension evry time. I have big feet, so there is usualy not a long tag to grab, but its not so bad.

Brian

Thanks for the ideas. I love this site! I'm going to try the screw thing first. I think I'll also get the straps or tubing too, to make sure the strap doesn't slide off. My husband agrees that I don't pull tight enough. I too, have a back problem and it's difficult to get to the back strap. Good idea to keep a few screws and a strap in my pack too, in case something breaks. I know, when my Tubbs binding broke, we were miles out, and it wasn't fun trying to get back in deep snow.

Last edited:
Happened to me a few times when I first got them. With the Tubbs it's clear where your foot goes. Just put your toes as far forward as they will go. With the MSR's it's not so obvious. I had to experiment a bit with foot placement. Once I found the proper alignment they worked much better.