Mt Cabot New Hampshire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddytrails

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is still a cabin on Mt Cabot open to hikers ??? Also I have heard that some of the trails to Cabot have been closed due to crossing private land. Does anyone recommend the best approach to Cabot? I am thinking of backpacking Cabot next week and will appreciate any info.

Thanks,

Muddytrails

the cabin is still there about .4 before the summit and open first come first serve (it no longer has a woodstove, but does have a privy). the western approach via mt. cabot trail is officially closed. now the main route from the east is via bunnell notch trail (year round access) and kilkenny ridge trail from york pond rd. it's a bit under 10 miles round trip. lots of folks also do a loop including the bulge and horn using unknown pond trail on one end. this adds a couple of miles. you can also come from mill pond rd. (seasonal rd.) via the western branch of unknown pond trail and do an out and back via the horn and bulge. i think that is around 10.6 miles. there are campsites (with privy) near unknown pond.

bryan

Some info on cabin. The WMNF was supposed to start managing the cabin on a reservation basis this year for the cabin and would start locking the door. This does not appear to have happened yet. When I was up there several weeks ago, the cabin was in good shape, but there is no wood stove (its been gone for a few years. There is an outhouse. There are four wood floored bunks with ensolite pads attached on top of the wood inthe back room.

The water supply is a long trip from the cabin (towards the summit) and is off on a long side trail (which was marked) and way down the mountain. Either carry water up, melt snow (if there is some) or bring a large container to fill up to cut down on trips.

There really isnt any great camping spots nearby although there is a possiblity of some rough bumpy spots in the adjacent woods.

The WMNF was supposed to start managing the cabin on a reservation basis this year for the cabin and would start locking the door. This does not appear to have happened yet.
As of last week the cabin was still unlocked although there was a notice posted about the plan to lock it and take reservations. There were also several pages of Forest Service rules including no flames allowed inside - THIS INCLUDES STOVES AND CANDLES! The historic fire tower info is gone, though. I would call the FS about the future instead of asking here about the past.

The trail from Lancaster has signs that the trail is closed but I doubt they are legal postings as they do not contain the owners name and address.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LXII/635/635-4.htm
And the adjoining land is not posted so you can legally bushwhack around the "closed" portion of the trail. However you might prefer a different route to avoid potential ugly confrontation.

was there on Sunday (11-7-10)...the cabin is still there and unlocked. The reservation fee will be $30 per night:eek:...no heat source, no stove use...

As for the trail...we did an up and back from Bunnel notch trail. WET, MUDDY MESS!!! There is about 3 inches packed snow on top...

I did Cabot back a few years ago, on a loop that went up the York Pond Trail by Unknown Pond, then went over The Horn and over The Bulge on the way to Cabot. It's not much farther than the other routes, and the views from The Horn on a good day are exceptional (it's where I am in my avatar).

At what point is the York Pond Road closed in winter? At the gate before the pond, or beyond? How much distance is added to the summer parking area before the hatchery troughs?

The road is always plowed past the gate and past the pond as there are active fish hatchery operations past the pond. As for how much farther up the road, it can vary but usually its plowed all the way to past the bunnel notch parking.

As has been mentioned previously, the gate is rarely if ever locked at night especially in winter and there are residences at the gate that can help you out on the very rare chance that the gate is actually locked.

As has been mentioned previously, the gate is rarely if ever locked at night especially in winter and there are residences at the gate that can help you out on the very rare chance that the gate is actually locked.

You can also call and request that they "leave it opened" for you...this is what we did...they are very pleasant and accomodating :)

Thanks for all the helpful information. Viewsfromthetop sure is a great website.
I guess I can't 100% count on the cabin being open and with standard equipment be prepared to bivouac. Does any one happen to know the telephone number of a person in charge of this cabin??

Muddytrails