Mt Cabot w/ York Pond Trail & Bunnell Notch Trail & Kilkenny Ridge Tr on 3/31/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Mt Cabot w/ York Pond Trail & Bunnell Notch Trail & Kilkenny Ridge Tr on 3/31/2012

Date of Hike: 3/31/2012

Trail Conditions: At lower elevation, snow is gone in many places and trail was somewhat muddy, but, still snow is hard packed on the ground at other locations. In the morning, at the widest brook crossing on this hike, the top of rocks in the brook were covered by ice and it was very slippery. On the way out during hike out, ice is gone and it was easy to step on rocks. When we reached to steep section of the trails, I see ice underneath of snow and we used Microspikes at that time. We had 2-3 snow accumulation last Thursday, so all footprints were covered by snow between 1st bump and 2nd bump(true summit of Mt Cabot) after passing Cabin. Please enter, specific words to describe the current trail conditions.

Special Equipment Required: Microspikes or HillSound spikes.

Comments: No need snowshoes, but, due to 2-3 snow accumulations last Thursday, trail on higher elevation is covered by snow completely. Due to sun shine, snow on the ground is getting slushy, although we didn't make big post-holing. I couldn't find out footprints and I derailed from the trail between Cabot Cabin and Mt Cabot Summit a bit.

The one hiker & one dog hiked in front of us. We met him just below cabin. We talked about Cabot summit and he told me to make sure to get to summit. Funny thing is the human being foot print and dog's foot print was ended at the 1st bump after passing cabin. It apparently he didn't reach to the "real" summit (which is 2nd bump and also very near the trail junction sign.

Happy Trails,
Tomoko:)