Mt. Cardigan, Firescrew and S. Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willoughby

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 5/6/2008

Trail Conditions: Like AndyF, a little bit of everything. Many dry sections, some wet sections (only a few very wet), patchy snow and ice. Two patches of snow ascending Firescrew, one of them made finding the trail quite interesting. Hurricane Gap was a total mess of monorail, rotting snow, and flowing water - had I known I would have kept off it.

VFTT were limited by the haze - but I made out the more-prominent Whites, and even imagined I could see Washington/Adams glinting in the distance. The Greens and Northeast Kingdom mountains were not visible.

Special Equipment Required: I put on microspikes briefly, more because I had them than because I needed them. I went through the snow up to mid-thigh a couple times.

Comments: Did my loop from the AMC lodge on the east side. Trails (partially) hiked were Manning, Mowglis, West Ridge, Ranger-Cabin, South Ridge, Hurricane Gap, Clark, Cathedral Forest, and out Holt.

Shem Valley Road was passable but somewhat rutted and potholed.

There are markings that look like an unoffical shortcut from S. Peak to partway down Hurricane Gap. I did not follow them.

Your name: Willoughby