Mt Chocorua, Champney Falls Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChacoTaco

Reaction score
Great great hike Sunday 4-28-13 for us and the pup. Lots of folks in sneakers and without traction :eek:. We wore microspikes about 70% of the time especially on the big climb to the leadges. There is some snow right as you come out of the woods after the junction and the last big climb up and over the various ledges. The narrow, side of the mountain hiking on the snow pack may get interesting in the coming days because parts of the snow pack are giving way to ice and water. Erosion is going to be an issue soon for the narrow section from overuse and loose rocks and lots of snowmelt. Hopefully there is plenty of ground and rock underneath. Some parts of the trail have given way to rock and mudslides. PLenty of blowdowns to make it interesting but none really bad. The views were stunning and the haze over Washington indicates lots of evaporation. The temps were in the 60's and it was just a perfect day for hiking. When we got to the top, we could see where we had to turn around last night and still feel good about the decision to abort, especially that close to the summit but I wasnt chancing it with the ice still down there. Lots of folks at the top. We sat off by ourselves and enjoyed our gluten free lunch. Pup had some peanut butter and kibble mixed with treats. We got sunburned quickly and Grayson started to get uncomfortable. We sat on the summit for about 15-20 minutes and Grayson was content. We have hiked in lots of snow and we finally had our time to hang out on a summit with him. He layed down across the legs of me and my wife. Luckily, someone brought some yellow roses up to the summit. Whomever did that Thanks. My wife and I met as hikers and this week was our 3rd year Anniversary so this was a great hike to enjoy that time together. Oh and we also have been welcomed by the black flys. Got bit 5-6 times. IMG_1051.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpg
    IMG_1050.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited: