mt. chocorua, waiting for light, 8-6-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natron

Reaction score
Last week on my family's camping trip to white lake st. park, nh I decided to do a sunrise hike on chocorua. I went to bed @ 11:30p with a planned wake up time @1:30a, however my neighbors were drinking and being loud, so I left @11:45p with no sleep for my hike. I hiked chocorua 3 times from age 19 to 26, all from kanc., I'm 35 now so it's been way to long. I decided on doing the piper loop, using hammond trail, weetamoo as my down. Started hiking @ 12:25a. Hiking the slabs on piper and on the summit with no moon, no clouds, and a ton of stars was awesome! (unfortunately my camera can't capture the no moon night shots) Got to the summit @3:40a and hung out in a nice little nook, great wind breaker, watched stars ate some food and waited for light.

1st light.
034_zps8f98690f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

063_zps4fffc4c0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

089_zps2a5174c8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

068_zps4a13efd3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

101_zpsacae869e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

105_zps1738b1eb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

119_zpsa0525cf8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I really liked this loop in particular on chocorua and hope to do it once a year here out. As far as night navigation piper has a tricky spot over a brook crossing, about half way up, trail turns left after brook crossing. I went straight for a little bit, before realizing I was off trail. No other problems for me but maybe potential for navigational issues on a slab section. I had dry trails, which is the way to go for this night hike.