Mt Eisenhower, Mt Pierce, & Mt Jackson - 10/11/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
Snow, ice, cold wind.... winter is on its way. I set out for a hike on Sunday with my wife dropping me off at Edmands Path at 8:00 and I had until 2:00 to get to Crawford Depot where she would pick me up. The forecast looked pretty good but morning air was cold. I headed up Edmands Path and around 3500' it started to lightly snow, leaving a dusting in the woods. Around 4000' water on the trail was frozen and the rocks were icy. I had brought my microspikes but there really was enough continuous ice to warrant wearing them. The sky was dark and overcast over the Pressies but in the distance you could see clear sky and in some places the sun shining on the foliage making for quite a specticular sight. The small pond at the base of the Eisenhower Loop was frozen and looked ready for ice skating. On the way to Mt Pierce on the Crawford Path, the white Mt Washington Hotel stood out in the surrounding foliage. I stopped at the Mizpah Hut for a quick bite to eat while I decided if I had time to do Jackson or if I should head down. It looked like I had just enough time if I got moving so I was off to Jackson. The boardwalks just before Mt Jackson have been raised above the mud they had been sinking into in July. A welcome bit of trail work! On the way down the Jackson Branch it started to snow again. A great day to be out hiking and get a taste of the coming winter. I arrived at Crawford Depot right at 2:00 and my wife arrived a few minutes later. Good timing!

Here are a few photos from the hike...

Brook on Edmands Path

Its snowing

View from Edmands Path

Ice skating anyone?

Mt Washington Hotel

Repaired boardwalk before Mt Jackson