Mt Ellen 1/12/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepy_mike

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 1/12/13

Trails: Ski trails: Walts Trail, Northway, Lower Rim Run, Rim Run

Trail Conditions: Just above freezing most of the day, snow nice on all the ski trails

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes with poles. Carried large Gregory Palisades pack with my downhill ski boots and with downhill skis strapped to the pack

Comments: I abided by all the rules. I bought a lift ticket, I checked in with the ski patrol at the base lodge and asked what trails I should use. The skiers were very nice - many would stop and ask questions and chat (good opportunities to rest). Some skiers I saw several times as they skied the same trail. 3 different ski patrolman asked if I had a ticket. The first time I talked to a patrolman on the mountain I said that this was one of the only ski areas that require a hiker to buy a ticket. He said he was glad that the mountain had a policy that would help to keep people like me off the mountain. I mentioned that I used to be a ski patrolman, and his response was that he would always be a ski patrolman. Higher up the mountain another patrolman stopped. I asked if there was a ski patrol room on the top of the mountain and would I be welcome to use the room while I put on my ski boots. Response: probably not. I did have a nice ski run down the mountain after the hike up. Whole thing gave me some good chuckles.