Mt. Flume & Liberty 3-10-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPeaks

Reaction score
I know you've experienced this before....
"Wow, this is nothing like the last time I was here!"
Well....
Can't help but get excited to go up the Flume slide Trail. Waaaay back I took my oldest daughter, 13 at the time, and my nephew and his friend both 12, on a backpacking trip. It was May and dry, so the book back then said it was ok. The next published one said it the correct way. Always slippery on ledges! It was a nightmare, but the kids, now adults with a kid each, have some fond memories! aghmmm! Ok Laughs!
Way after that, when I got back into winter hiking, I saw a TR about a guy that went up it in late Feb. and said no problems. Just wished he had 2 ice axes! At first I thought, NUTS! But the thought stuck to me like glue.
As the story goes, my partner in crime back then said, "Tom, let's just try it, if we have to turn around, well, at least we got out on a nice Mon." I HATED turning around back then. Still do, but agreed, thinking, ok, she's right. But still not liking the turn around part.
Well we got on the slide, and the ice flows were incredible!!.. I got that apprehensive excitement, that did not say turn around at all. I looked at her and asked if she was going to use her axe and she said no. I like my poles. I had just taken a beginner ice waterfall lesson at the MWVIF at ICS, so I had my 2 axes and up we went. That was with 2 mountaineering axes. The bulges were big enough that year that technical ones were not out of the question. Hold that thought.
So when Jeff said he needed Flume,....yes you guessed it. Flume slide Trail with 2 technical axes!

To save time, this next section is a cut & paste from my email to Pucknuts!

Back to Flume Slide Trail...the ice flows were NOT as prominent?? as the last time. lots of snow covering them. the 2 technical axes w/ android leashes, proved useless , but the extra 5 pounds did make a real contribution to my agony today.
Ok, they are off my list for good! I had given Jeff my BD Raven and had to ask him if I could use that instead. He gladly agreed and that was the first time in a while that I had an Ice axe in my hand just about all day... from that point to the lot!! It was perfect. Plunging was the preferred method of use, Other than a couple of ice bulge. You could have even done it in snowshoes, MSR's with GOOD grab cause the snow was perfect for it over the ice. Down low on the flats, was more of the crampon use area due to the thaw & re-freeze. Snowshoes were great in the, aghmmm. bushwhack part?? after I sunk up to my chest and was going nowhere, after about 10 minutes!

Up near the top 1/4 of the Montrealers went up the same way & caught up to us, thanking us for making their job easier. Up top they all converged & we took their group shot on Liberty. 13 of them! Can't remember if that included the 2 guides! Ya, Jeff had to tell me the guys with the 2 ways were mountain guides, Denali etc. Martin was the one that stuck with us for a while, telling us in conversation how they charge $60.00 for the service & bus ride from Montreal. Big timer guides, Denali etc. Maybe Jeff & I could have made some $$ Sat. !
To the next one!

Back to the TR.
I'm thankful to the 2 man?? group just ahead of us that had the similar frustrations of multiple endless whacks to nowhere. Knowing all the time we were heading too far north and was thankful every time it headed back south. When the group of 3 guys behind us saw me playing in a deep hole they bailed, knowing this was not the trail.

A spectacular day for sure!
I had to race to leave Twin Mt. Sun. to make one of my granddaughter's 4th BD party. When my oldest daughter showed up, I told her I was on her favorite trail Sat.
Now why would you do that?
Cause it's easier in the winter!
And Fun!:)