Mt Garfield 03.19.05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpschroder

Reaction score
Garfield Trip Report 03.19.05

Thanks everyone, who came along for this awesome last day of winter hike. Climb4000footer, highpeaksorbust, MEB, Rachel, Poison_ivy, Jasonst and I met at the parking area around 8AM and started off around 8:15. Everyone snowshoed a well packed trail to the summer trailhead except Poison_ivy and Jasonst. Jasonst had a successful ski-in and stashed his skis and boots for the return trip later on. We all snowshoed on before breaking up into smaller groups of slower and faster hikers.
Skies were partly cloudy to start off the day, but as noon approached the skies completely cleared to a wonderful crystal clear blue sky. The Garfield Trail is a beautiful, wide and gradual trail with switchbacks as you approach the Garfield Ridge Trail. The trail had only a few blowdowns that could be easily crossed underneath and was broken and well packed. As we approached the junction with the Garfield Ridge Trail trees were covered with snow and ice that looked incredible in the bright March sunshine.
The summit had incredible view on Saturday and everyone tried to stay as long as possible to take it all in. Some gray jays visited and poison ivy obliged their appetites with some bread scraps from her hand. We all stayed about 30 to 45 minutes before the breezy conditions in the mid twenties turned us cold and forced us down the trail.
Everyone headed down the quickly and the entire hike took about 7 ½ to 8 hours in all. The warm sunshine softened the snow and slowed some of us down as snow began to ball up under our snowshoes. I hope everyone had a great time and it was nice meeting everyone. Hope to see you on the trail again soon.

Trip Facts:

Trails: Garfield Trail -> Garfield Ridge Trail : Roundtrip
Temps: 30F trailhead 25F summit
Miles: 12.4

Pictures coming soon… the site I post on is down for an upgrade.

Nice report. Thanks for the invitation and the company. Nice to meet you all.

J