Mt. Greylock Bernard Farm Tr. Plane Wreckage

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragway

Reaction score
All the years of hiking Greylock, first time taking this trail.What a surprise to see this and being so close to the trail.About 3/4 the way up before reaching the AT between Williams and Fitch.Obviously been there for sometime.Searching around could not find any info about it.Wonder if anyone
had some.

Just a side note.At the trailhead some motorbikers were brazenly "navigating" the way around the barrier at the Notch Rd. :rolleyes:

The pilot encountered weather that prevented visual observation and he was reduced to onboard, instrument-only access to his location. A commercial flight picked up his distress call as he was circling a hay field looking for a landing spot and informed Albany, where the insufficiently trained controllers noted he was close to a mountain and relayed that to the commercial pilot who did not or was unable to relay that to the private pilot.
Boston controllers sent the pilot his location info but assumed he was above 4,000 feet and clear of the mountain. Pilot instead descended, thinking he could get out of the clouds, and flew into the mountain.

Oddly, I was there on Saturday (http://www.vftt.org/trail/ma/409.html) and saw the wreckage up close. The ranger we were with relayed some of the info you see above and remarked that a fair bit of it had already been cleaned up. Asked why not all, he said that the crash predated a law requiring clean-up and has remained.

I found it creepy, given that a couple of people had died there, and thought it grossly inappropriate that a crash site, especially one involving death, should go uncleaned.

I took a look for a minute and walked on.