Mt. Hood, the "Quad" finale...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Mount Hood was the fourth peak in my planned "quadventure." Having just done Whitney, Boundary, and Shasta:D I was feeling strong and more than ready for this hike. However, having attempted Hood in May and turning back in some of the worst white-out conditions I've ever experienced, my anxieties were higher than normal. This would get in my way and cause me difficulties.

Guinness, JayH, Giggy and I got started on the trail about 12:30 am on July 21. The Portland area was experiencing a record-breaking heat wave and we wanted to be back off the mountain before the snowpack warmed up too much. The night was already warm and never got cool enough to really firm up the snow from the previous day's thaw. This added to climbing anxieties. Clackamas County Search and Rescue were set up at the trailhead (looking for one of their Rangers who hadn't checked in). Up goes the anxiety meter even further... The first mile (and 1000' of ascent) up to the Silcox Hut went quickly but still no snow. I was constantly considering turning back. It was impossible to turn of that negative crap that kept running through my head. Shortly after this, we hit snow. It wasn't that bad, so I started to feel better about the climb. We continued to make our way up in the dark on moderately steep terrain. We had caught up to a large guided group and had no problem with letting them continue to kick in steps. At times the snow would give way to rock fields but we'd quickly be back on soft but well consolidated snow. By now, we'd hit the top of the Palmer Glacier (about 8500') and the volume of my doom and gloom voice was way down. I started to consider going for the summit. We began to smell the stink of sulfur and at a brief rest stop, Guinness made a fancy maneuver that led to an injured back. He continued to climb up but at about 10,000' he decided he needed to turn back. Giggy was ready to head down with him, but Guinness said he would be fine and encouraged us to continue. By this time I had experienced a complete change in attitude and was ready to solo up the rest of the mountain if need be! I was losing patience with the slow pace of the guided group so headed up and out around them. Turned out they were putting on crampons and roping up. We made our way past them up to the Hogsback (10,200') where the day was just beginning to shed some light on us and then on to a flat section next to a big smelly fumarole! We had found the primary source of all that sulfur. We got a good look at the Bergshrund and it's gaping crevasse. The standard route is to cross the Bergshrund (easy early in the year, later on there is usually a snow-bridge, later still the crossing moves further to the right) and head up through the Pearly Gates. But due to all the increased warmth, the Bergshrund has opened too much and is considered too dangerous to pass. So instead, climbers are using the "Old Chute" to gain access to the summit ridge. This way is steeper but currently safer. So we followed the three rope teams up this incredibly steep slope being careful to watch for any slips on their part that could result in knocking us off the mountain as well. A solo climber blew past us and climbed to the right of everyone without crampons or an ice-ax, just kicking steps the entire way up :eek:. Near the top of this slope, the snow turned to ice which made for a few precarious steps before gaining the summit ridge. There was more exposure on a short section of the ridgeline than I would have expected with incredibly steep drops off both sides of a moderately wide knife edge. A couple ups and downs over mixed snow and rock and we were on the summit:)! The morning was somewhat hazy and we could barely make out St. Helen's and unfortunately could see nothing more than a very vague outline of Rainier. But even so, the views were awesome. We took some summit photos, fueled up and headed down before the snowpack got even softer. Re-tracing our steps down that steep pitch was done cautiously (I lost footing on the icy section but arrested easily as I already had my ax well planted) but with effective plunge-stepping we made it down fine. Jay fairly flew down it without a care! One of the rope teams had a small accident going down but also arrested easily in the soft snow. Jay and I were able to glissade a short distance and the lower portion of the descent was spent trying to avoid the groomed ski/snowboard trails and all the people using them! We were back in the parking lot by 10:00 a.m.

This was an incredible finish to my "quadventure" during which I hiked about 85 miles and made 30,000 feet of ascent:D tagging three more state high points and another California 14er. Wish I could do that every week!

Here's my Hood photos... (They are only partially done...check back again later!) http://community.webshots.com/album/552509461CnJKkQ

Thanks TMAX! :) :D :) Great report that captures the climb! Hood, while a great classic mountain - literally smells like - well rotten eggs = sulfur. It was almost making me sick to my stomach!

In all seriousness, some tough personal decisions to make this day.

I was the exact opposite of Tmax in that I was more "into" the summit down low. While physically, I felt great, the snow conditions IMO were god awful and borderline very dangerous (subjective opinion of course), I sat and debated a good 15 minutes on the hogsback whether to go or not. I would like to share my thoughts on the subject.

1) Go up at all - I wasn't worried about getting up the final snow slope, but was already thinking about coming down it. At 6am, the snow already mashed pototoe snow and slick as heck and it wasn't going to get better. This final section is steep, I would say it is roughly like south or central gully in huntington ravine. Maybe a tad bit mellower, but you toss in your at 10K, you have a gaping bergshrund to your right, rocks tumbling down, a crater sending steam in thr air, crap snow, loose rock, some ice, and it becomes a bit more "interesting".

2) Rope up or not. While somewhat mild, Hood is still a glaciated mountain. We (mostly I b/c I can over think things at times - not always a good thing) debated whether it was safer to rope up or not, if we roped up and placed a couple of pickets, we could have likely saved a fatal fall if one occured. Or - one could have pulled the other 2 down and the pickets would blow due to the crap snow.

the slope was rather steep (probably sustained 45 degrees and maybe the last section approaching 50 degrees). One the other hand, there was a decent boot path and the slope could be done unroped by the 3 of us pretty easily based on our skills.

for about 5 minutes, I was going to say forget it, with a wife and kid at home these things now enter my mind - and as Tmax and JayH will tell you - I am pretty cautious about these things. (I was likely driving them nuts by trips end! - thanks for putting up with it guys. :) ) I am the first to admit, I can overanalyze things - but being safe is the main thing.

In the end, the team call was made to head up and not rope up and it turned out to be the right call - coming down as Tmax mentions, a rope team of 4 took a fall, but it was textbook as to how they stopped the guy making the fall, and then about 1/3 of the way down, we noticed a small bergshrund starting to pull away from the slope about 100 yard to out right, but it was fine where were, but this didn't stop a rope team of jumping it. :D Yikes! Made it down to crater rock with overall ease and then flew down the final slopes on the snow waving at the skiers!! :D :D :D

Great trip - always learning new things on these bigger mountains.

Thanks to Guinness, jay and tmax for making it a success and a big congrats to tmax for getting hood in her highpoint quest :D
here are my pix!

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=344231153670852116/l=112330639/g=51306462/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

Last edited:
Congrats to all - I enjoyed the reports and the images. I have seen Ranier up close and been pretty near Hood. I must say - I have not desire to get into that level of climbing!
Great job and glad you all made it back safely.

Overall, I wasn't expecting how much the summer skiing affects Mt Hood, tons of skiers and snowboarders and of course the snowcat being up on the mountain when we left at midnight. It was certainly interesting climbing up and being passed by the Snowcat on the way down. I know there was the option of actually getting a ride by the Snowcat. In hindsight, a complete waste of money because the lower sections below Crater Rock is fairly mild in terms of angle.

Getting to Crater Rock, the fumaroles appear and the place stinks of sulfar. I've even read of possible danger to hikers due to asphixiation due to dense sulfar pockets. It was much worse on the way up than on the way down, either that, we were perhaps acclimated to the stink. Either way, falling down the steep slope that leads to the old chute is precarious cause one can possibly fall into a fumarole and that could be deadly. However, having seen pictures of the whole area, the lack of snow when we were there is obvious. The junction between the fumaroles and the snow isn't filled with crevasses which made the route much safer and possible than the hogsback/pearly gates route.

Looking up at the hogsback from Crater Rock, it was obvious there were still some old tracks of folks going up the hogsback and then side-hilling over to the old chute, but the fresh tracks were all going to the old chute to begin with.

I found the soft snow to be fairly easy to climb with crampons, the first inch or two would give, but that would give you good purchase below and since we waited for the roped teams to go, we had a lot of broken out steps for us to go up which made the pace very easy too. Didn't feel like I had any kind of workout, which was much unlike Shasta.

After getting on top of the ridge, the exposure was very interesting to get to the summit. The pearly gates brings you closer to the summit than the old chute so we had more of a ridge walk to get there and looking over the north side to a whole lot of crevassed glaciers, it was a fun walk.
Getting to the summit, there was about 20 of us there, a group led by Timberline Mtn Guides and some other independent groups who roped up. Rements of the old hut were still there as well as prayer flags set up there and left by some previous climbers.

Visible from the summit is pretty much downtown Portland as well as a bunch of the other cascade volcanoes to the south.

Pictures should be uploaded tonight when I have time...

Jay

well said jay - I think Hood may just be more of an overall circus then mt washington :eek: :eek: certainlly not a wilderness experience. yikes!

snowcats running you over at 1am :eek:
walking through roped off ski slopes at 2am and the ice axe hanging off your pack gets tangled :eek:
the old shack remains, wire, cables, etc.. on the summit :eek:
coming down after and seeing hundreds of people skiing, sitting, etc.. it was bizzare -

Hood is a crumbly, rotton mess and stinks like sh*t - but it is a classic mountain too :D :D - some nice sights like the shrund, furmaholes, crevasses, crater rock illumination rock, yocum ridge, . etc - you just don't see that stuff everyday and the ridge walk was awesome. :D :D

I would do it again...........

Jay H said:
.... I've even read of possible danger to hikers due to asphixiation due to dense sulfar pockets...
Jay

Several ski patrollers died on Mammoth Mtn this winter from just such an event. I foolishly peered into a smoking vent out in Centralia, PA a few years back. Not quite the same as a volcanic vent, but the result was probably similar - massive headache, nausea, etc. Great trip, btw!