Mt. Huron (CO) 8-13-2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig Pen

Reaction score
I was wandering around Fairplay CO and who did I run into but Neighbor Dave and Chickadee! We quickly came up with a plan to hike Mt. Huron the next day. Neighbor and Chickadee camped near the trailhead at the Winfield ghost town while I slept in luxury in Fairplay. I had to leave at 4:30 am to meet them at 6:00 in Winfield but what the heck, I was still on East Coast Time!

We started up the Winfield 4wd Road which was not drivable by me at 6:30, arrived at the 4wd trailhead at about 7:15 and started up the trail. It gains about 3500 feet in a little over 2 miles which makes for a pretty relentless hike up, particularly for us eastern low riders who recently jumped from 1000 feet to 10000 feet. The hike up is spectacular, starting in a pine forest to tree line, then through a high alpine meadow and finally up the summit ridge. We hit the summit at about 9:30 and saw some mountain goats a ways down the ridge. Huron is sort of in the middle of a bunch of other mountains so the view is amazing.

On the way down we met a few other groups heading up. On the 4wd road it started thundering and lightning behind us and we were wondering about the people still up there. Hopefully all was well. We made it back to Winfield at about 1:30 and headed to Leadville. Neighbor and Chickadee are headed south today, I'm taking a zero day and then off to the Mt. of the Holy Cross Tomorrow.

Pig Pen said:
On the way down we met a few other groups heading up. On the 4wd road it started thundering and lightning behind us and we were wondering about the people still up there.
That's a classic, am I too chicken or those people are just nuts to keep climbing under thunderstorms ? I always try to get down early in the afternoon so I don't get caught.