Mt. Isolation tentsites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solo_hiker

Reaction score
does anyone know if there're any tentsites around the summit of either Mt. Isolation or Mt. Davis? time of year is early May.

thanks Solo

solo_hiker said:
does anyone know if there're any tentsites around the summit of either Mt. Isolation or Mt. Davis? time of year is early May.
There is one at the summit of Stairs (dry, water at resolution) and I think there is one on E Isolation tr close to Davis Path.

Doug

there is a designated tent site as previously stated on the east branch of isolation trail just below davis path junction. probably about 1 mile from isolation summit. it will probably still be wet down there in may so water might not be to hard to find a bit farther down the trail. the quality of said water could be questionable. if dry may have to go down much of the way to the rocky branch.

In general, the FS policy is not to designate tentsites within Wilderness but let users find their own so that the same place won't get used repeatedly. I would say that suitable level places near water are easy to come by in this area. Just stay 200 feet from the trail.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/backcountry_rules_2006-07.pdf

Note that the spur to the summit of Isolation is not an official trail, so apparently you can legally camp on the summit (Bring water :)

If early May, then expect winter conditions (i.e., snow) which means water won't be an issue most anywhere you camp.

North of Isolation around the site of the former Isolation shelter there are some bootleg places to tent.