Mt. Isolation via Rocky Branch Trail - 10-26-2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC3

Reaction score
I'm a little late in posting this, but want to just the same.

We hiked LAST Saturday, October 26th and started just before 8am from the Rocky Branch Trailhead Parking Lot on Rt. 16. It was cloudy and in the lower 40's and a great day to hike. Just about an hour in - after gaining a little elevation - we hit lite snow which continued basically from that spot until we reached the SAME spot on the way back.

Making the 1st crossing near the shelter was a bit scary because the spray from the falling waters created a thick glaze on all the rocks. But we got over fine - visited 3 gents in the Shelter, and head up the Isolation Trail. Because of the wetness and snow, we had to watch each step but we ended up doing the whole thing with just our boots.

We avoided the 3rd and 4th Stream Crossings (which are only about 70 yards apart) by bushwhacking the East side of the stream. We did the same on the way back and it saved us FOUR crossings, which was sweet.

At the top, the snow was coming down harder and the wind was gusting enough for us to decide NOT to have our lunch there. We just popped down from the summit back onto the Davis Path and enjoyed a break out of the wind.

We went back the same way and arrived back at the car at 3:45 - 8 hours "to the minute" after we started.

Despite the "scary" stories I've heard about this hike, as long as you are well prepared and give yourself plenty of time, it's actually not bad at all !

We really enjoyed it !

PHOTOS---> https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...ms/5939572716544000177?authkey=CLuAlZe33MyQXw

:)

Total agree -- Isolation is a great hike that gets a bad rap! Ironically, for my 12 year old, Isolation is his FAVORITE of the 48.

The initial climb on Rocky Branch gets you warmed up fast, but then it's actually very easy...but long. The stream crossings are the only challenging part we found, after the inital climb. And what's better than just "popping out" out of the woods to a gorgeous rocky summit with amazing views?

When i was 16 I had just got my first car, a 1985 Grand Am. It was April 20th and i was as cocky as a teen could be. I had to drive from Cape Cod MA, so i arrived at Rocky Branch with only 2 hrs before sunset. Feeling confident i slapped my pack onto my back and headed up. The trail was clear of snow and easy to fallow until i made it to Hight of land, where it was all wet, slushy snow and getting darker by the step. After bumbling around for an hour before deciding to go due west to the river, in hope that in crossing it i would rejoin the trail. Well when i finally made it to the rocky branch it was too much for me to cross in the dark so i tented up right where i stood alone and scared (i had never bushwhacked or hiked at night however i did have 3 days of food). The next morning i was determined to find the trail and when i crossed i was crushed to not find it i kept going up stream crossing every once in a wile figuring id have to hit it, but by lunch i was soaked from sweat and snow and still was unable to discover it. In a panic i decided to abandon all hope of finding it and just went for Rt 16 and the safety of my car. However, after 4 hours of whacking snow-covered fur trees i was just as afraid of setting up in the dark again so i plunked down my tent, set up my stove ate food, and cried myself to sleep as the darkness engulfed my tent. The next day i was so concerned to be out i thrashed threw the bush with no regard for flesh or foot and in a couple hours i was hearing traffic and soon after that i hit the road. Now remember this was back in 2001 (when the trail was more obscure and less folks were peak bagging) and i was 16 years old and alone. On the way home i bought the best GPS (witch i hardly ever used) and soon after i took orienteering classes. The classes tought me the value of a map compass and SKILLS to use them. Now i love off trail travel but that's all due to the horror of a bush bumble from my youth.

Last edited:
Rhirek - what a great story !!

There is a lot to be learned from it.

Thanks !